RIP Rusty Rangie i think?

Thunderkatt

Hi there, you will prob have seen the rot on my Rangie from my other posts.

I went digging again today and didn't like what i found. Holes in the bottom of the sills under the A and C posts, both sides. A big hole on the inside of the n/s A post in the foot well. Strangely the rest of the sills and all the floors are solid. From looking at Orange's Rangie i think all this repairable with time.

The real killer for me tho is the rot i found round the n/s/f body mount were the back of the inner wing meets the bulkhead. Now the inner wing i think i could have done but the bulk head i think is too much as i think this would mean the dash out and alot of other complications. Please correct me if it's a job on a par with sills/rear X-member/inner wing etc but i seriously doubt it. The only other option is to plate round it but i'm almost certain that you lot will comfirm my worst fears and tell me thats a no no.

If so i think i will have an a 93 LSE up for breaking.

Thanks for your advice, a very depressed Kris.

The real killer for me tho is the rot i found round the n/s/f body mount were the back of the inner wing meets the bulkhead.

Just done exactly this - fabricated this mount and the surrounding floor area. I can confirm that it was an absolute pain, but no need to remove the dash, just the under-dash, wing and wheel. I had to cut away a load of good metal to get room to do the mount and afterwards I decided that if I have to do it again I would cut out the mounting and floor/bulkhead section it attaches to from a scrapper and use that.

Another thing to watch is that you cover the windscreen - mine is now covered with tiny bits of weld spatter!

Roger

Don't suppose you've got any pictures of what you did have you?

Thanks Kris

I have a couple which I can dig out tonight but not sure how much use they will be :) ... And apart from a footwell that looks like a patchwork quilt, it now looks just like normal... I used a mounting purchased from t'internet that was intended for the rear cross-member. I decided it would be easier than starting from scratch.

Oh - I nearly forgot: Other things that need removal are any pipework and or wires in the area, which (since mine is a V8) included the clutch which is a PITA to bleed.

Oh Oh - I nearly forgot: Due to the method of assembly at the factory, you can't get the bolt out (the footwell is in the way) and if it's a V8 you can't get a grinder in, so you have to cut out another section of footwell above the bolt to pass it through...

Overall my advice would be to find one that is sound in this area and cut everything out from within about a foot of the mounting - more or less the whole footwell up to the big removable panel, across to the inner wing and back to the seat-mount, then you have any metal you may need.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice ThreeSheds :blink: .

At this rate there will be no original metal left on my Rangie :unsure: . This is to go on top of replacing the rear floor/rear X-member/both sills and patching the outer rear wheel arches on the C post :( . All this before i can turn my attention to other faults such as cruise inop/heated elec seats and door mirrors inop/ new rear exhaust/ fixing cross threaded manifold bolts/ unexplained battery drain/ bent steering rod and damper/ 4 new tyres/ replacing several worn bushes..... the list goes on :rtfm: .

I'm very tempted at the mo to just give up and break her and save up for a P38 but i just can't bring myself to break my 1st Landie :wub: , plus she's an LSE, although i'm not sure how rare they are at the mo. I don't want to kill one of a limited number.

Sorry for the rant :offtopic: but i'm a bit depressed and daunted at the moment :wacko: .

Thanks again Kris.

I'm very tempted at the mo to just give up and break her and save up for a P38

Dont give up and go the P38 route Kris :( , I was in the same situation with rust everywhere.

Any normal person would of scraped it but I took the body of the chassis for ease of access. Ive welded complete new panels in, fabricated new body mounts and even replaced the whole front end. Was it worth it for a 1987 Rangie? YES

100_0618.jpg

100_0556.JPG

100_0627.jpg

At this rate there will be no original metal left on my Rangie :unsure: . This is to go on top of replacing the rear floor/rear X-member/both sills and patching the outer rear wheel arches on the C post :( . All this before i can turn my attention to other faults such as cruise inop/heated elec seats and door mirrors inop/ new rear exhaust/ fixing cross threaded manifold bolts/ unexplained battery drain/ bent steering rod and damper/ 4 new tyres/ replacing several worn bushes..... the list goes on :rtfm: .

Sounds like yours is about the same as mine was in terms of rust, although mechanically mine was/is better. I don't for a minute regret doing it - spending all that time and loads of money on something that is still only worth a few hundred pounds. Along the way I have bought some great tools (which I always enjoy) and faced and beaten some difficult challenges. It's been emotional, but fun :)

I'm very tempted at the mo to just give up and break her and save up for a P38 but i just can't bring myself to break my 1st Landie :wub: ,

I was tempted too - I could have had a replacement RRC each year during the rebuild for the money I've spent on mine, but two Saturdays ago it passed it's MoT (not even an advisory!) after five years off the road and four years of off/on rebuild :D Then last Sunday I did my first ever competitive off-road event (and RTV trial) and I tell you - the car went well! Nothing broke, fell off or leaked and boy, was it competent! The feeling of satisfaction now :)

Sorry for the rant :offtopic: but i'm a bit depressed and daunted at the moment :wacko: .

Feel daunted! Feel very daunted.. ;) It's a huge task that you are starting out on, but don't feel down and don't give up, and don't expect it to be done in a few weeks either. You will get plenty of support on here, and remember - whatever problems you face along your 'journey', others have already faced and solved them :)

If you watch NCIS, then you will understand what I mean when I say that for the last four years I have tried to regard mine as like Gibbs' boat - it's the pleasure/satisfaction/distraction/sense of purpose that I got from working on it that counts - it didn't even matter whether I ever finished it! Indeed, when I got to the stage where I thought 'you know - I could MoT this on Saturday' I nearly didn't bother but just carried on 'rebuilding' it. I know that most people do a rebuild to get the car at the end, but that was never really my main purpose ;)

I hope you decide to do it, I hope you enjoy doing it as much as I have mine, and I hope that the vehicle you end up with is just what you want it to be.

Good luck

Roger

p.s. Sorry, can't find those pictures, but they weren't much good anyway!

Thanks for the support guys :) . Of course you are right. Don't know what got into me thinking about quiting :angry: . If i ever talk like that again you have my permission to come round and slap me in the face (If am home, usually away in Hotel Volvo during the week :P ).

ThreeSheds- You can't be that far away from me if your near M1/M62. I'm originally from South East Leeds but i live in Wakey now.

Thanks again, a rejuvinated Kris :lol:

There will be times when you get like this owning a Landrover. I've had a similar dilemma this week with my disco.

This was the horror behind the front wing, and it extended all the way round, as far as the washer bottle.

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0006-1.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

Then the sill needed plating at the back, and as for the inner rear arch, there is now more new metal in there than the original, i had one hell of a job chasing the tin worm round there - but i love it - it gives me a sense of satisfaction that i am not going to be scrapping what is essentially a sound truck - plus it's got to be more enviro friendly than buying a new one, as it's already paid it's carbon debt many times over in my eyes.

All looks familiar, just the same as my 1983 one, you can buy many repair panels which will reduce the time fabricating repair sections.

I did my one almost 15 years ago and still have it, in garage just now but thats more to do with laziness ;-}

You will get peedoff at times and think "it's too much" but if you stick at it and do a good job it will last for as long as you look after it.

I went down the route of buying a P38 and not that it's a bad thing the classic was a better thing for my needs, I would rebuild it again and plan to get it out before the winter sets in.