Rear door

Rather than continuing old thread thought best to start a new one.

I have found a door on Craddocks for what seems a reasonable price but there is no illustration

STC1424G Rear end door 90/110 1987-93 with glass

Given The Beastie is a 1991 90 by my reckoning this should be OK, or are there gotchas involved. The VIN is HA70xxxx if that helps.

Some sort of confirmation I am on the right trail, or if not, then what I should be looking for, would be really useful.

I will source new hinges separately and have also located SS bolt kit from Mudstuff but they are currently on holiday.

Thanks

Malcy

PS I like the new look for the forum!

Given The Beastie is a 1991 90 by my reckoning this should be OK, or are there gotchas involved. The VIN is HA70xxxx if that helps.

I found this, which confirms the VIN bit, and the G on the end is Genuine, so it will fit as well as the original :(

Linky

Thanks Errol - I had found the Britcar one too and wondered why there was such a price difference. The cheaper one you can just go and do but somehow the dearer one takes some thought. I was not sure why and whether I would notice if I put the cheaper one on.

As for fitting as well as the original did, well .... :lol:

I had to change the back door on the 2a after my x-wife (available at all good divorce courts) managed to reverse into a house :blink: . Compared with the old genuine one that came off, the new aftermarket one was very lightweight and obviously built to a budget = the difference in price.

IIRC just about all back door apertures are similar (wait for corrections :ph34r: ...) and the doors will differ only in lock fittings, wiper holes, HRW wiring holes, wiring duct bracket holes and fittings for the door card?

What do you mean it doesn't fit? You just aren't slamming it hard enough ;)

Malcy, if your going for a new door, go for the later Td5 style with the rear window secured with a seal [similar to the front screen] this door has been made to retro-fit earlier vehicles & is stronger being all steel & galvanised IIRC.

Gulp

Looks good but would still have to get new hinges S/S bolts etc and then do something in terms of paint - would be tempted to go with the green all over but am very fond of the existing blue no matter how tatty it is. I might be able to sell the spare wheel carrier I suppose and that would knock my price down by at least a tenner :unsure:

And here is me just bought a new handie for RAYNET stuff too.

Will have to think this one since working out much more than anticipated, even if it is the right way to go. Thanks for pointing it out. I don't suppose I might get an unpainted one anywhere??

Looking at the very rudimentary product info for BIC710250 it would seem to come as just simply the door, no glass, no nothing, but still about £285 or so which makes the other option seem slightly less eye watering. Is anyone able to confirm that BIC710250 from places like LR Series is just plain door and all the extras would need to be got separately??

Yes it's just a plain door. It will come like this...

post-18-125068808994_thumb.jpg

post-18-125068811391_thumb.jpg

So you'll need to buy extras like rear door card, glass and wiper if you have this fitted.

In a bout of being lazy, I just phoned AJD and that door above sold yesterday. Not far from me and in colour I needed and as it was complete would save me building mine and getting it painted ;). Then you could have bought all my parts ;)

Cheers

Steve

"after my x-wife (available at all good divorce courts) managed to reverse into a house :blink:"

i must admit i was having a shocking day and this just made me snort my drink out my nose and now i have to clean my laptop!

on a tangent if your buying the door without card/older door is it worth putting the spreader plate for spare wheel carrier-i know its been debated till the end of the earth i just thought id throw it out there

I bought the cheapo rear door from paddocks and its surprisingly good quality, the paints a bit haphazard but I was repainting anyway, everything fitted and given a good waxoyling it should last a good few years, echo the above about not hanging a wheel on it though!

Mike

edit: theres no need to spend fortunes on 'special kits' of bolts, just buy the correct size from any fastner shop, did all my doors for less than a fiver...