one for the sva police!!

ste clark

i have just bought a bobtail discovery off ebay...

it is a yellow 2 door discovery pick up on the log book...

when i asked the bloke i bought it off if it had had an sva he said yes we did all that stuff when it was built,,,

he also said it had no rust on it and it had sailed through mot,s and it would pass another with ease!

when i got it back to the workshop (had no time to give it the once over when i got it) the inner wings pulled out by hand the sills were kicked off and when the soaking carpet was ripped out there was no floor!! and a couple of nice fist sized holes in the chassis!!

anyway i thought sod it with nothing better to do i chopped all the rust out of it and started welding some nice thick metal sheets where the inner wings and floors are supposed to be and some meaty box section sills on it and its nearly finished.

but it made me think.. has this had an sva.. he lied about the rot!! and he has been getting it mot tested about 40 miles from his house (did an online mot check) and it has never failed...more than dodgy!!

i have found one letter from the d.v.l.a. from 2005 asking to bring the vehicle to them to be inspected as he had requested to change the log book to a pick up....

how do i find out if it is legit or not??

and a pic of what the rusty old thing did look like!

post-8011-125097872333_thumb.jpg

well surely a little lesson is to look at the chassis/floor before parting with any cash?

as i said i was in a hurry so just grabbed it and left!! not fussed anyway as i now have the most solid g reg discovery going!! only took a week to get it done..

you can put the original plate on a retension to put it back after the Q plate

No you can't

Any Q plate has to keep that number forever

Nothing is tranferable onto a Q

and a Q can't be transferred to anything else

V5s for Q always state no transferable number

and other numbers can also be marked this way to, but for

differing reasons

Nige

No you can't

Any Q plate has to keep that number forever

Nothing is tranferable onto a Q

and a Q can't be transferred to anything else

V5s for Q always state no transferable number

and other numbers can also be marked this way to, but for

differing reasons

Nige

but its not on a q plate.... and i thought that q plates are no longer issued.... so why is everyone harping on about q plates??

but its not on a q plate.... and i thought that q plates are no longer issued.... so why is everyone harping on about q plates??

Q plates are still issued.

As you say, yours is not a Q plate but this may just be that it has never been registered properly. In which case it probably should be a Q.

If you want to be sure it is legal then you will need to contact DVLA. I would recommend visiting your local office rather than speaking to the help line. Much as they may try to help this is a rather more technical enquiry and may be beyond them.

The whole process you are heading towards will give you a world of grief which I doubt is worth the effort considering your description of the vehicles condition.

Steve

The whole process you are heading towards will give you a world of grief which I doubt is worth the effort considering your description of the vehicles condition.

Too true :(

Holed floor will be an MOT fail - due to it's proximity to either body support, seat support, seat belt anchorage, A or B pillar, etc. Loose panel will fail too.

If the vehicle had been taken for the SVA, then the cut chassis should have lost you the points on that, but I'm not sure if the chassis on it's own would lose you the original registration number ?

Due to insurance, C&U regs, etc - I would recommend you find out if the truck really is road legal.

Les.

Has anyone actually READ the OP?

"anyway i thought sod it with nothing better to do i chopped all the rust out of it and started welding some nice thick metal sheets where the inner wings and floors are supposed to be and some meaty box section sills on it and its nearly finished."

Doesn't sound like there's any holed floors!

Ste Clark, I've no idea about the SVA or lack thereof, sorry. I just wish people on this and every other forum would READ posts before going off on a tangent.

Now, about this Q plate.... :blink:

i have just bought a bobtail discovery off ebay...

it is a yellow 2 door discovery pick up on the log book...

when i asked the bloke i bought it off if it had had an sva he said yes we did all that stuff when it was built,,,

he also said it had no rust on it and it had sailed through mot,s and it would pass another with ease!

when i got it back to the workshop (had no time to give it the once over when i got it) the inner wings pulled out by hand the sills were kicked off and when the soaking carpet was ripped out there was no floor!! and a couple of nice fist sized holes in the chassis!!

anyway i thought sod it with nothing better to do i chopped all the rust out of it and started welding some nice thick metal sheets where the inner wings and floors are supposed to be and some meaty box section sills on it and its nearly finished.

but it made me think.. has this had an sva.. he lied about the rot!! and he has been getting it mot tested about 40 miles from his house (did an online mot check) and it has never failed...more than dodgy!!

i have found one letter from the d.v.l.a. from 2005 asking to bring the vehicle to them to be inspected as he had requested to change the log book to a pick up....

how do i find out if it is legit or not??

and a pic of what the rusty old thing did look like!

post-8011-125097872333_thumb.jpg

To try to answer your actual question!

Passing an MOT every time is not so difficult if you just give it a good look over, and to tell the truth people although stupid in doing so can fool the MOT inspector fairly easily when rot is concerned, the poor bloke can't see everything all of the time and they do not use xray specs! So no reason to plaster him with dodgy dealing.

The car has certainly been inspected by DVLA since the pickup conversion and "probably" therefore the "Bob" and been given the all clear!

Do the regs state chassis mods inside the wheelbase as a need for SVA or do they say nothing? I can't be bothered to read but maybe you would find it worth while as it does seem that your Bobbed vehicle has no problems, however a check with DVLA may be worth the insurance of having everything correct.

Do so by letter and keep copies, that way if all is well you actually have "proof" all is well.

Good luck,

Lara.

A vehicle can pass an SVA and retain its original registration, it does not necessarily have to have a Q plate. There is every possibility that it has been SVA'd and passed, you only have to score the 8 points to keep your original reg. Although heavily modified, some people would argue that it is still a Land Rover chassis and body, but with LR axles, LR steering, LR engine and transmission, LR suspension, it could still pass.

there was very little floor left.. inside the cab or in the back.. the only thing that has not been plated is the transmission tunnel and the upper part of the bulk head... i am confident this body will not rust again in the next 5 years at least!!

i shall print a letter off to post to the dvla asking them to confirm that the vehicle is a legit pick up as it says on the log book and if it does need an sva then so be it..

as i have never had to sva or iva or whatever they are calling it this week i will assume it is just a more advanced mot type test which i am 300% sure it will pass with the work that has gone into this car!

A vehicle can pass an SVA and retain its original registration, it does not necessarily have to have a Q plate. There is every possibility that it has been SVA'd and passed, you only have to score the 8 points to keep your original reg. Although heavily modified, some people would argue that it is still a Land Rover chassis and body, but with LR axles, LR steering, LR engine and transmission, LR suspension, it could still pass.

If its gone through a SVA then the log book will show as such

with words / explainations that show its not a factory fresh std 4x4

If the log book is 100% as std then its not been through

and the "Fun" starts unless you show you head in the sand

as many do with a set of lalalalala I'm not listening ear defenders

on :lol:

Passing the SVA is a once only event, passing / faiing an MOT some

years later is a differnt ball game, so its down to the V5

as to if its SVa'd in the past :)

Nige

Surely "2 door discovery pick up on the log book" would suggest that as Land Rover never made a factory pick up, DVLA have issued amended documentation, which they probably won't do without the necessary paperwork?

But it's all conjecture, Ste Clark will find out from the DVLA, not 'some bloke on the internet says....."