VIN year/Reg rear

The VIN number on my 90 and the registration rear dont add up. The VIN says AA which I know is 1984MY but it is a 1986 registration. Is this a common scenario? Is it possible that it could have been parked in the carpark at Solihull for the best part of 2 years?

Ade

BTW, I live in the UK. So that's a "D" plate.

We had 3 older Land Rovers in our family at one stage, all of which had AA year letters in the VIN and none of them were 1984. One was 1986, the other 2 were 1987. I don't think LR were very particular about what they put on the VIN plates until about 1988 as I have seen a number of others the same.

We had 3 older Land Rovers in our family at one stage, all of which had AA year letters in the VIN and none of them were 1984. One was 1986, the other 2 were 1987. I don't think LR were very particular about what they put on the VIN plates until about 1988 as I have seen a number of others the same.

Yep - can confirm the above.

Within the VIN, position 10 denotes model year normally - however it was only used from about 1988 on - the letter "A" simply denotes 88/109 series 3 and/or 90/110.

Simple as that.

Hope this helps,

Matt

I think 1988 was prob the first MY to use the letter rationally - thinking about the ones I have seen over the years - so

EA - 1988

FA - 1989

GA - 1990

HA - 1991

JA - 1992

KA - 1993

LA - 1994

MA - 1995

then it went screwy for some reason....

TA - 1996

VA - 1997

WA - 1998

XA - 1999

YA - 2000

1A - 2001

2A - 2002

and so on - now it is just the last digit of the year used in the vin so my 90 is a 2004 - 4A. Most of the older than 1988 ones were AA's, maybe all I think.

Note that some markets - NAS for one - had some different letters used. I don't know anything about those though.

90's arrived in mid 84, so it may well have sat in a dealers for a while or been registered with a cherised reg for it's first years then been subject to a transfer & given a '86 D reg number.

afaik its not possible to have a reg number allocated to make the vehicle appear younger. its highly unlikely to have been given a D reg if it was first registered in 1984.

Western> FA 89MY --- my 110 has this code for a late 1989 [October] build

In Australia (and I expect the rest of the world as it sounds like a good scam),

the model year starts on November 1st the year before.

So if "late october" is really Nov 1st (or even after lunch on Oct31?) then

the MY is probably correct :ph34r:

ttfn

Matthew

Western> FA 89MY --- my 110 has this code for a late 1989 [October] build

In Australia (and I expect the rest of the world as it sounds like a good scam),

the model year starts on November 1st the year before.

So if "late october" is really Nov 1st (or even after lunch on Oct31?) then

the MY is probably correct :ph34r:

ttfn

Matthew

over here -UK, the model year usually changes in July/August, so it could be a September build but no reason why it can't be a October build & delivered to dealer a few days later.

I've got a copy of my 110's history from DVLA at Swansea to prove the info, date of registration was 19/10/1989 by the LR dealer it was bought from :D

over here -UK, the model year usually changes in July/August, so it could be a September build but no reason why it can't be a October build & delivered to dealer a few days later.

I've got a copy of my 110's history from DVLA at Swansea to prove the info, date of registration was 19/10/1989 by the LR dealer it was bought from :D

Don't forget that the date code on the VIN relates to the MODEL year and not the date of registration - so for instance a 2004 model year would/could relate to vehicles coming off the production line in early 2003...

Matt

• 15 years later...
On 3/30/2006 at 10:34 PM, oneten110 said:

MY 1995 model year 110 was registered on 4 march 1994 with an L reg No but it has an MA chassis number. So the year indicator doesn't tie in exactly with the reg No that may be on the vehicle

Did you ever get any resolution on this matter? I have a similar situation and was wondering the same. Cheers. 

Quite old thread 😁

My Oneten is MY 1983 and first reg has been 01.1986. When I bought it in 2006 I have been told by the former owner, that the car was a service car in Camel Trophy 1984. No idea whether thats right, but there are Camel Trophy stickers, where nobody would place them.

Keep in mind, MY in the VIN represents only a spec, but no production. Some Series III were made in 1983, but must have surely been built after an older spec. So the MY in the VIN must be older than 1983.

1 hour ago, western said:

110 first appeared on the market in 1983 so it won't be older than the first year 9f production 

I know. I wrote about Series III which have been simultaneously produced to the Oneten. They were produced in 1983, but will have a earlier MY according to their spec.

Edited by Sigi_H