Wheel spacers

looks like you have aswered your own question :)

a proper offset wheel is the more favourable a option.

i have heard of plenty of people having spacers come loose (that said have also heard of plenty of people running them and being very happy with them :huh: ) and some of the cheaper spacers dont centre on the hub 100% giving vibration issues

rob

to be honest i wouldnt use spacers at all and i dont know the legality of them if you had an accident .

i have an old chevy camaro that the previous owner used 30mm spacers on and he broke all the wheelstuds on one side .

i would say that if you had spacers in , then it would allow twisting motion to the wheelstuds which will in turn probably do the same thing as on the camaro

on standard landrover wheelstuds i wouldnt think there is enough stud length to allow fitment of spacers , or do they supply new longer studs with the spacers .

i am using wider offset wheels and tyres myself but i think the 90inch landies handle better with slimmer standard spec wheels and tyres , ie so that the rims are tucked in over the hubs and make the complete axle width as narrow as possible and the wheelbase as long as possible in relation to this .

its probably a cheaper idea to buy 4 new rims than it is to buy a set of spacers , steel spoke or modular rims are what £28 each or so new .

im running 265 tyres and offset rims and they only just have the tread inside the wheelarch extensions , and some of the edge of the tyre sticks out past this , so i wouldnt want to have them any wider .

older landies had similar width bodies and axles and the wheels on those were behind the metal arches , so the 90/110s nowadays are using a much bigger offset all round without addition of spacers .

I've had spacers on my 90 for a few years now, no real problems except the wheel bearings take a bit more punishment, but so long as they're kept properly greased and adjusted there's no worries.

I fitted mine to maintain a decent lock and clearance after fitting bigger tyres because I wanted to keep my original alloys. (Nothing to do with being Barry!!)

To be honest, if you fit wheels with a greater offset to achieve the same thing without spacers, it will stress the bearings and swivels just the same.

Thats why I made a point of getting some decent steel spacers, not the alloy ones where the extended stud can strip it's thread and fall out resulting in a wheel coming off.