Land rover tyres on a light commercial

ronnie_rotten

My girlfriend has a 1985 mercedes 407d van which she has an unhealthy obsession with. Good girl, says i! Thing is, it running on 10 ply 6.50x16' which are a pig to source new, let alond second hand. So, my question is, if the van's gross weight is 3500kg, has twin rear wheels, and is currently on 10 ply radials, would i get into horrible trouble if i put a set of lower ply landrover 7.50's on? My hi cap has 8 ply remold mud tyres and has been known to carry quite a lot of weight at times with no bad results. What would be a safe alternative to the rockinghorse shoes she's got at the moment?

I think the key to this is the load and speed rating rather than ply. The load speed rating would be something like 110T which would be stamped on the tyre 110=1100kg per tyre and T=118 mph, explained in this table:

link

As long as the tyres have sufficient load speed rating you shouldn't have a problem.

The 7.50's will of course be bigger than 6.50's so you would need to buy 6 of them

post-784-125156704912_thumb.gif

post-784-125156550215_thumb.gif

A more common size? exactly my thinking. To my mind 750's are a pretty common size and narrow enough to fit on the merc rims. Since at least 4 of the tyres we've got have seen better days, buying 7 (gotta have a spare!) isn't that big a jump. Excellent table by the way, should ease my girlfriends mind a bit. New boots here we come!

years ago I used to have a LWB merc 608D high top camper, that had horrible 6.50's on all turkish. Swapped them over for 7.50 sat type tread as I was going to Austria for a month at X-mas camping. Made a bit of a noise, but it did look bl@@dy good, looked like a UNIMOG. Everywhere we went people would look, then look underneath! To see if it was 4x4 I suppose. Never thought about the rating tho'.