Side indicators on a 87 Classic

Dengie Boy

Hi all,

I have replaced both front wings on my 87 rangie with genuine landrover wings, which are supplied with a template to cut your own holes for the side indicators.

Personally Im thinking of not buying and installing the side indicators (as not many peeps use indicators these days :P ) , but are they a legal requirement for the MOT? or do you think it would be safer to fit them.

if it wasn't a legal requirement, they wouldn't be installed in the first place by manufacturers. But yeah, you do need them. Apart from all that though, they are there for a reason, which is to let people know where you're going and it would be good form to put them in even if you could get away without. Think about driving on a motorway - how would traffic alongside know you're about to change lane..

I bought new wings for my older Range Rover and they didn't have the side repeater lights either while the original ones did, I chose not to fit them and have had no trouble with that at mot times, plenty other things to chose from, it is likely that they are a legal requirement as they were an original fitment and of course there is the safety concern of being seen to be turning right or left, I would fit them and perhaps will before it hits the road again.

Side repeators a manditory for IVA and must be visable from certain angles.

Many people may not use indicators properly, but that is their problem and does not excuse not refit them, despite claims that certain car manufactures have issued recalls to remove redundant indicators ;)

Vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1986 must have side repeaters or a wrap around type lens so the indication is visible from the side.

Earlier RRC will not have them fitted, but fitting early wings to a later vehicle will not get round the law - even though it may not be picked up by the MoT tester!

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_150.htm

Save yourself the hassle and heartache of trying to get the OEM ones to work, and keep working by going to your local boy racer emporium and picking up a pair of self adhesive LED types. No more corroded bulb contacts, and you can get very slim line ones that are harder to damage on passing scenery.

Save yourself the hassle and heartache of trying to get the OEM ones to work, and keep working by going to your local boy racer emporium and picking up a pair of self adhesive LED types. No more corroded bulb contacts, and you can get very slim line ones that are harder to damage on passing scenery.

Thanks, that is why I didnt want to replace them. Will have a search around for some led ones ;)

I have used these ones from Carbuilder Solutions. £12

http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/led-clear--sr1-158-p.asp

Steve

Yup, that's what you want. The ones I got from my local place were £18, they have more LEDs in though. Same idea. This was on the morning of an MOT etst and naturally I found one repeater not working when I checked the lights. It had the standard feature of being full of water and corroded. Replaced with the LEDs about 5 years ago, got the tiddle taken out of me by the tester for having boy racer indicators, but it passed, and still does. Never had an issue with them since.