Mismatch Pulley to Water pump

Poor air flow

Impeller issue

Thermostat to high rating

blocked / part blocked rad causing flow issue

Not pressuring enough

or dreaded liner / block issue

Combo of the above

Personally start with fitting a lower stat from memory 70 something that will drop the temp

and what ratio of antifreeze are you running ?

Can you take some pics of

Front of truck

rad / fan(s)

cowling

Header tank type and plumbing of system

Nige

The ratio of anti freeze has been normal, low and high I'm not sure I've noticed a difference with different mixtures.

The engine came from a 90 with a na diesel rad and that didn't overheat without a cowl.

The engine has the 12 blade viscous fan that came on the 4.2. The cowl is a close fit as I had to slightly trim the blades and cowl to stop if rubbing.

The fan is a snug fit to the hole.

These pictures are from my just what I had to hand so if you need any close ups let me know

The header tank is the 3.5 one and a bit small. My winch safety valve stops me mounting the rangie one. It has a pipe brazed to the bottom to feed the bottom hose and a t piece plumbed into the smaller top hose from the original feed.

Apart from the header tank the plumbing is the same as the other 90 the engine came from

The front is basically the same as the picture except the spot lights are now slightly bigger ( and yes I could take them off as they are a whacking great block on the air but I would have thought the system would have enough slack to handle steady driving)

I think to start with the spots weren't on and I still had a problem although I didn't have the cowl at that point.

post-1231-125262027316_thumb.gif

post-1231-125262028413_thumb.gif

post-1231-125262029547_thumb.gif

post-1231-125262030006_thumb.gif

post-1231-125262031221_thumb.gif

post-1231-12526203249_thumb.gif

post-1231-125262093002_thumb.gif

post-1231-12526209423_thumb.gif

Probably irrellevant now ive seen that last post but i'll say it anyway

Changing the stat for a 70deg one wouldnt fix anything unless the stat itself was broken.

If the radiator (or some other part of the system) cant keep the engine cool with the stat open (which it must be if its at 95-103) then fitting a lower temperature stat wont change anything, it might take longer to get up to temperature, but the radiator would still be insufficient and it would still overheat.

I'm just hoping my Disco is ok...

Finally got the new dizzy on and got it running again, now i need to move it 200 miles from livingston in scotland to cleveleys in lancashire. Its only really been run round and about livingston on short trips and seems to have a bit of a thirst for coolant. Every time its been run bar the last time its used some coolant...

Last time out it didnt actually use any though, wasnt driven for long, maybe 5 miles, but it used water on shorter trips before, so fingers crossed :P I'm kinda hoping its just been small airlocks working themselves out of the system, but that seems a bit too good to be true for my luck!

Er No

A lower temp sat will make an engine run lower in its heat ranges

If the rad is too small, or there is an issue with the build etc

then a lower stat can help, but true its better to fix the problem

However 105 is not "that Hot" my advice re fitting a lower stat is to see if

it then drops the internal latent heat, by the lower stat dropping the temps

If it does then its a design / mix of parts issue, if it stays the same then

leans more to Liner / bliock, or maybe blocked rad

Differing thermostats drop / alter running temps - period

Nige

The stat simply controls the flow of water thru the radiator. If, with the stat fully open, the engine overheats, then regardless of the stats rating the engine will overheat.

It might take longer to heatsoak, but if the engines running at 95c during normal driving, then regardless of it being a 70c or 80c stat its still (eventually) going to reach 95c, as both stats are wide open well below the 95c its levelling off at.

Even with no stat fitted whatsoever, it would still get to 95c, eventually.

Imagine a extreme example, you take your radiator and cover 90% of its surface area with cardboard. Drive it around and the coolant levels off at 110c because the 10% of the rad that does have air flowing thru it is unable to dissapate enough heat to cool the engine any further. If you then remove the thermostat and drive it round, you've still only got the same 10% of rad to dissapate heat which is still massively insufficient. The fact the thermostat isnt there makes no difference, it would still level off at 110c.

If your cooling system was working properly, and the rad has plenty of spare capacity, then yes fitting a lower temperature stat will lower the running temp, but if the cooling system isnt able to dissapate enough heat to cool the engine for some reason, changing the stat isnt going to make a difference.

So

How come when you know everything about everything

you can't even get a V8 distibutor in on your own ?

A lower thermostat drops the operating range of the Engine,

No, it won't cure a cooling issue, but can help control it,

which is why many race cars with V8s 'fine tune' cooling systems via thermostats..

...but then again you know everything about everything it seems, ...so I'm wasting my breath

Nige

Lol, i dont claim to know everything about everything, which is exactly why i was asking about the distributor, this however is just general principles. Theres no need to get narky about it! If you disagree with my point, then explain whats wrong with the points i've made...

If the radiator and cooling system is upto the job, then what your saying is correct. If however its not upto the job, either because the rad is blocked or the pumps knackered or whatever, all you'll do is mask the issue for slightly longer, if at all.

If the radiator and cooling system was infinitely large, then the temperature of the engine would sit at the stats control temperature. As it happens thats not the case, and the radiator is sized so its large enough to handle the (standard) engine working under full load for prolonged periods. This means that for the most part, it will be able to keep the coolant temperature within a few degrees of the stat temperature under most operating conditions.

What your saying is fine, to a point, but if the engines overheating because the rads choked with mud, or the pump impeller has sheared, or the head gasket has gone etc, fitting a lower rated (or no) stat isnt going to change anything.

If you think of it in terms of energy dissapation, the temperature climbing means your dissapating less energy than your generating, so regardless if you start at 70c or 80c the temperature will still climb at the same rate. Ok it might mean you can run the engine at full load for 2 minutes instead of 1 minute before overheating, but the engine should be able to run at full load constantly without overheating.

Right heads are off. Everything looks fine except slight black mark between cylinder 8 and the rear water channel.

no steam cleaned cylinders. Some head bolts were a little lose and water pump has some play.

Where is the best place to get some nice composite gaskets from ?

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, new gaskets on and all the water where it should be and top holding nicely at 90.

So looks like it was the head gasket and corroded injector plugs. Thanks for everybody's input

Running rich now it's back on 8 cylinders which is nice for power but doing about £1 a mile in fuel ( ouch ).

I pulled the fuel cap off and there was a suck in of air, that's a blocked breather isn't and reduces mpg even lower ?