Will Toyota Landcruiser 80 axles be ok on a 90 ?

i have a pair of axles lined up for my truck there the 80 series with the twin lockers etc.iv not seen them in the flesh as of yet but before i spend £700 on them i wanted to no if the diff offset would cause any problems on a 90 being used on road.all the posts show 100inch trucks with them fitted.thanks paul

i have a pair of axles lined up for my truck there the 80 series with the twin lockers etc.iv not seen them in the flesh as of yet but before i spend £700 on them i wanted to no if the diff offset would cause any problems on a 90 being used on road.all the posts show 100inch trucks with them fitted.thanks paul

Both axles are offset to the right as per standard LR axles, but the rear slightly less-so. On the 100" WB the slight mis-alignment in the prop is no problem. The 7" reduction in prop length shouldn't really cause you a problem, worst case is that you'll need a CV / double carden joint in the prop.

£700 seems alot to pay for 80 series axles,but compared to £3500 odd for ARB/Ashcroft LR ones I suppose it'spretty cheap! Check the following very carefully, because Toyota parts are not like landrover parts when it comes to availability and cost. Sure you'll need less in the long run, but some can be pretty pricey (like brake disks):

Brakes: Calipers sieze, so make sure the axles are from a recently in-use vehicle. Check the piston seals are in good shape

Seals: The seals are way better than LR ones, but check the normal swivels, hubs, diffs etc. Also check the condition of the swivel balls, they're not removable like LR ones.

Diff locks: These often aren't used on road going 80s so expect them to be siezed and have to rebuild them (just a strip and clean should do). Try to get the looms to the axles thrown in, you can buy them from Toyota, but at about £60 each.

Props: On my conversion I've used an adaptor on the front, but the easiest solution on the back is a hybrid prop, so see if you can get the rear prop chucked in for the price.

Wheel nuts: A small thing, but handy if you can get them with the axles.

My experience with any LandCruiser axle is that the CV's are absolutely rubbish. I honestly don't see why people use these axles. Anything over 33" tires and they break constantly. Sure the axles and diffs are stronger than Rover type. But I'd rather fit a sal's in the rear and ARB/ashcroft'ed rover in the front. Main reasons: Parts are absolutely everywhere, caliper new complete is dirt cheap. Swivelballs are replaceable. And there is no questions asked at the MOT.

But where can you get an Ashcrofted front axle and rear axle with ARBs for £700? You're probably looking at five times that with Rover axles....

The LC axles... fit Longfield CVs to te front axle, do everything else PB said and you're sorted for very large tyres.

The ratio helps a little when using oversized tyres as well, it's a win-win-win situation really.

i didnt want the post to cause a argument its plain to see that building a set of strong lr axles isnt cheap the lc ones are ahead with the twin locker as standard so they just seemed a little more attractive to me.both pb and rougevouge use them yes i see the cv's can be a issue but ive heard nothing elcewink.gif

Keep in mind, that stock, they are not really any stronger than Rover axles. If you want to use them hard, they will require some upgraded bits.

My experience with any LandCruiser axle is that the CV's are absolutely rubbish. I honestly don't see why people use these axles. Anything over 33" tires and they break constantly. Sure the axles and diffs are stronger than Rover type. But I'd rather fit a sal's in the rear and ARB/ashcroft'ed rover in the front. Main reasons: Parts are absolutely everywhere, caliper new complete is dirt cheap. Swivelballs are replaceable. And there is no questions asked at the MOT.

I don't want to say you're talking rubbish without knowing where the info has come from, but that's totally not my experience.

The way I drive my LR I was taking out a standard LR diff every other weekend on 32" Grizzly Claws. I've now run the completely standard TLC axles for nearly 2 years on 37" Superswampers with no breakage. I've used them with front diff lock in backwards on rocks, in huge boulders, you name it. NO DAMAGE!

Yes the CVs are the weak point, but a set of longfields sorts that out, then compared to that chocolate LR c$%p you've still got the bigger shafts, bearings, brakes, calipers, stronger casings, and diff locks as standard. Parts are very easy to get new, it's just the cost of new and availability of second hand parts that's not as good.

To keep on topic though, Paul if you really want to go to town do as the Austrailians do a use a Nissan GQ Patrol front axle paired with a Landcruiser 80 rear axle.

Keep in mind, that stock, they are not really any stronger than Rover axles. If you want to use them hard, they will require some upgraded bits.

ummm sorry that is total rubbish . You need the see the size of the Half Shafts and Diffs on the toyotas and the nissans for that matter to see how bigger and stronger they are than land rover .Also you need to see what size of tyres they put on them with no mods to the axles. I am talking of 40" plus Not just 35" tyres

The CV's are a week point but only the same as they are on rover axels. But the CV's as standard are stronger than the rovers ones anyway .

i didnt want the post to cause a argument its plain to see that building a set of strong lr axles isnt cheap the lc ones are ahead with the twin locker as standard so they just seemed a little more attractive to me.both pb and rougevouge use them yes i see the cv's can be a issue but ive heard nothing elcewink.gif

Sorry, wasnt my intention to make it into an argument, just wanted to share my experience with toy axles. And ofcourse there's the fact that most defenders are much lighter than Toy's. I don't know the prices in the UK for used parts. But in DK it isn't rare to hear about people paying upwards to 350 pounds for a used CV for a toy or Nissan GR/GQ

This is not my experience, the only thing which might give you a problem is the OE CVs if they are high mileage they will be weak, pattern ones although cheap are hard therefore brittle. OE ones are expensive. Buy Longfields and fit and forget.

Since I fitted Longfields I have had no issues, it has to be said that I don't really push them though. :rolleyes: