My 90 is a bit boaty

When I got my 90, the steering was quite simply bloody awful. There was no real feel in it, and it waived all over the road. I then put a 2 inch lift and quite large tyres onto it, which made it MUCH worse. You couldn't really look at the wing mirrors when traveling over about 40 mph, as any lapse in concentration from the job of keeping it in a straight line (and I mean ANY lapse) would see you in a hedge.

I overhauled the swivels (there was almost no bush left in the swivel pin - it had just been dogged up really tight!) - replaced both CV's as they were on their way out, tightened the screw on top of the steering box and filled it with fluid and it got a lot better - to the point that I thought it was fine, and just a normal (if off-road biased 90). John (Turbocharger) had a drive of it a couple of weeks ago, and tells me that it drives like a boat.

The tracking was visually out so we had a go at setting that up, and it has got MUCH better. It had a tired 6 bolt pas box on it, but John bought me a 4 bolter from SimonR at Sodbury.

Apart from changing that, is there any other job that I should do whilst the box is off? Could the steering damper cause this kind of problem? I don't think that the bushes are too worn - how would I check? Any other ideas gratefully accepted. This has come about because my dad had a go last weekend, and almost put us into a hedge. Only then dod I realise just how bad it still is. I guess that you get used to something after a while.

Check drop arm, and check the sterring UJs for wear.

If you have the plastic PAS resevior MANY people do not know that this is a SERVICE item !!!. so consider changing it if history unknown of old, it has an inbuilt unchangable filter in it !

Makes me laugh when I see people buy secondhand ones at sodbury !...maybe out iof the dealers skip ? ! :lol:

Nige

Check drop arm, and check the sterring UJs for wear.

If you have the plastic PAS resevior MANY people do not know that this is a SERVICE item !!!. so consider changing it if history unknown of old, it has an inbuilt unchangable filter in it !

Makes me laugh when I see people buy secondhand ones at sodbury !...maybe out iof the dealers skip ? ! :lol:

Nige

Forgot to mention - Replaced all of the steering ball joints (thanks for pointing out the mistake) when I put QT steering bars on there. I have been told to replace the drop arm with one from a disco, so that I can use normal ball joints on them. Thanks for that about the pas resevoir. Looks like the list of things to change when the pas box gets changed is getting longer.

Pas box

All pipes and seals

Pas resevoir

Can you change the seals on the pas pump? It seems to be leaking quite a bit from the input shaft.

^^ he means steering ball joints, not UJs, although I had a look at the UJs and they're fine too. The hardest part is, with him rocking the steering and me lying underneath, there's no movement in any joints, bushes or on the drop arm.

The steering doesn't have a 'loose' zone in the 'play' as mine does when it has a ball joint gone either, ie there's little extra resistance when you actually start to turn the corner. That's why I looked at the tracking. Clues?

When I got my 90, the steering was quite simply bloody awful. There was no real feel in it, and it waived all over the road. I then put a 2 inch lift and quite large tyres onto it, which made it MUCH worse. You couldn't really look at the wing mirrors when traveling over about 40 mph, as any lapse in concentration from the job of keeping it in a straight line (and I mean ANY lapse) would see you in a hedge.

Really daft question - but did you change the shock absorbers when you lifted it?

Really daft question - but did you change the shock absorbers when you lifted it?

Yes, for long pro-comps. It will never be a sports car on the road, but I would really like to be able to relax a little when driving. At the moment, that simply isn't possible,

Keir

Did you uprate the springs or just put spacers in?

i know you put a heavy bumper and x9 up front as it used to be mine! it might be worth looking at front spring rates :blink

what tyre pressures are u running?

Castor correction.

As soon as I lifted the rangie the steering went to pot. So far I have lived with it but it's on the wish list....

If you put on the castor corrected arms you may need a wider angle front prop as well. My 90 did, but some get away with it.

Richard

Keir

Did you uprate the springs or just put spacers in?

i know you put a heavy bumper and x9 up front as it used to be mine! it might be worth looking at front spring rates :blink

what tyre pressures are u running?

I put heavier duty springs on, as the bumper and winch are a touch on the heavy side. (Work fantastically, thought - thankyou for selling them to me, btw)

I'm running at about 30psi ish, which seems to be about the best. When one went a little flat it was REALLY awful. I don't know about castor corrected arms. I can cope with the lack of centering, but would really like it if it didn't wander quite so much. I think that the next things for me to do (in this order) are:

Replace power steering box

Replace power steering resevoir with new one

Replace power steering pump with recon one????

Replace all of the pipework whilst I'm at it

Check all of the steering UJs

Replace the steering damper

Replace all of the bushes front and back

Buy a Fiesta instead :ph34r:

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll let you know what happens when I've done those things.