Aldi Super Specials

disco_al

anyone tried this?:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2827_11307.htm

I dont have a soldering iron, and this buys you 2 for £7.

Is it worth having or is it junk?

daan

The Missus bought me one of those for Xmas last year, blooming good for the price and the big 20amp jobby is usefull on dirty wires :ph34r: For the price you can't go wrong.

Brookers

What is the input power requirements of this welder?

I presume that the 160 amps is the maximum output current but at what voltage?

I see Mike has his wired up to a 32 amp socket and a 48 amp breaker which is not exactly the standard domestic household circuit.

Guess who's knowledge of welding equipment is non existent?

Brendan

no idea brendan - but if it really is the same as the one i've got (which it appears to be), then it will run quite happily from the normal household circuit. Mine certainly does.

On the way to pick up a couple of rugs for the ned in Stowmarket today I just happened to pass Aldi. A quick detour and a few quid later I had one of the welders and soldering iron sitting in the back of the 110. Even if it only lasts a job or two away from here it will save hauling the big set around for a bit.

Whoohoo, I've got one too. Bargain.

Look out now, just off to nick some scaffold tube to knock up a 3-link suspension system for the 110 :) Then I am going to cut up some old railway track and oil drums with my £20 4" grinder and weld myself up a proto class racer for Ladoga next year :) No stopping me now!

Will :)

I've been borrowing a MIG to do work on Land Rovers and I'm OK with it when it works. The annoying thing with it is that the wire has gone a little rusty and jams in the feed. When it does this you have to spend 10 minutes taking the wire out and rethreading it (which is made worse by the fact it really needs a new liner). As it's not mine I don't want to go to any major expense in repairing / replacing bits - but it drives you mad to use it - sometimes it will work fine for 10 mins then it will start jamming and it might jam after 10 seconds etc.

These arc welders seem simpler from that point of view and at that price I can't moan. Would it be suitable for some B post repair work on my series? As that's the next job

Try spraying wd on the wire ;)

John

Wow what a palaver!

My company did not pay me in time to guy one on Thursday or Friday. I went to 6 Aldi shops as I want an occasional stick welder (in fact I needed one three weeks ago) so I was keen to get one.

Thing about Aldi is that somewhere is a store with loads of stuff that the other stores sold out on the first day.

Finally I found that store today 2nd store and 70 miles away. I was visiting my Mum, I didn't travel just to find a store.

They had 5 left today, the checkout girl said "yeah we got a lot of them delivered".

I am interested in seeing if it is any good as the last cheepie stick welder I used was the same size as the box that this one came in and kept overloading when in use. Mind you it was not output adjustable and not fan cooled either.

At least my missus can get some peace as I kept moaning about missing out :D

Marc.