200 tdi not starting now

ive finished my 200 tdi conversion finally only took 1 and half months lots swearing well the engine cranks over fine but it wont start do i have to bleed the injectors or how do i bleed the whole thing it seems like the engine is getting no fuel this is my first deisel engine change so im a bit green on getting them started any ideas thankyou

ive finished my 200 tdi conversion finnaly only took 1 and half months lots swearing well the nengine cranks over fine but it wont start do i have to bleed the injectors or how do i bleed the whole thing it seems like the engine is getting now fuel thyis is my first deisel engine change so im a bit green on getting them started any ideas thankyou

Hello

Make sure you have power to the fuel shut off solenoid on the injector pump, and that the solenoid is working -you should hear it click if you pull the wire off with the ign. on, or, with the wire off,when touching it onto the spade.

Many say there is no need to prime the the fuel system, but I prefer to get the filter full and before finally fitting the feed pipe to the inj. pump get fuel to there.

It saves a lot of engine cranking. Will still probably need a few turns though, if the pump and injector pipes are dry.

If its got compession, fuel and correct timing no reason why it shouldn't go!(and battery power of course!)

All the best with it, it's only a machine!

it will be best to bleed the system, otherwise you could be a while.

did you use the disco (if it was a disco engine) fuel filter housing? if so on the top is a small bolt, this is the bleed screw, undo this, then use the lift pump (side of block by oil filter) to pump fuel upto the injectors. you will know when it gets there, as you will get some fuel out of the filter housing bolt.

the other way is to "crack" the top of the injector pipes open. at the top where the metal pipes go in there is a big nut IIRC 17 or 19mm, undo these a bit, then repeat the procedure with the lift pump until fuel comes out. the engine should start then, just make sure to tighten everything back up.

the other way is to "crack" the top of the injector pipes open. at the top where the metal pipes go in there is a big nut IIRC 17 or 19mm, undo these a bit, then repeat the procedure with the lift pump until fuel comes out. the engine should start then, just make sure to tighten everything back up.

I don't think this will work as you will not get fuel through the injector pump using the hand primer.

Bleed the filter as already described. Be sure the fuel solenoid is working as described then it should start.

To bleed the injectors, (rarely needed on this engine), crack the pipe nuts off then crank the engine. Once fuel starts emanating from the pipe unions, re-tighten the nuts and she should start.

HTH

Mark.

i have tried that i got fuel at the pump but im not getting any fuel out the injectors i took the nuts off the injectors were they come out the back of the fuel pump but i cant get any fuel through them when cranking the engine over the fuel pump working it clicks when i take the wire off any ideas

NO I HAVENT FIDDLED WITH ANYTHING BUT I ALSO HAVENT SEEN THE ENGINE RUNNING IT WAS OFF EBAY ITS GOT ME A BIT WORRIED THE STORY WAS I BROUGHT A TD LANDY OFF EBAY AND THE ENGINE WAS **** SO I COMPLAINED AND ALL THAT AND HE SENT ME UP A 200 WHICH HE SAID WAS GOOD BUT WHAT DO I KNOW

Edited by western
please don't use capitals throuhout any replies, as it's considered to be shouting on forums

If you have fuel at the injection pump, that means that the lift pump and all associated pipework is working ok, so the issue has to be with the injection pump.

Take the stop solenoid out of the injection pump altogether and ensure that it isn't gummed up with swarf or anything. This can happen if an injection pump is nearing the end of it's life.

Then I would be inclined to take the front cover off and check the timing, ensure that it's all lined up properly and the three bolts that hold the injection pump spindle are tight.

Take the stop solenoid out of the injection pump altogether and ensure that it isn't gummed up with swarf or anything. This can happen if an injection pump is nearing the end of it's life.

I think you can take the plunger out of the solenoid and refit it. This will eliminate it completely as the cause of the problem. You will then have to stall the engine if it does start though.

Mark.

I think you can take the plunger out of the solenoid and refit it. This will eliminate it completely as the cause of the problem. You will then have to stall the engine if it does start though.

Mark.

Correct, but keep the removed plunger & associated spring clean ready to refit.

I put a 200tdi in my last defender. I had the engine in bits for about 6 months sorting out all the oil leaks and fitting a new fuel pump.

When fitted I just turned it over with the fuel shut off cable off because I wanted to get some oil pumping round. I did this for 2x 30sec then put the live feed back on the fuel shut off. It started after about 20sec without any bleeding.

I have worked on 200tdi's that have run with blown head gaskets etc, one that I fixed came to me only running on 3 cylinders but it still started.

The 200tdi is a very resilient engine so it’s probably as suggested, no fuel getting through the fuel pump.

so i should take the fuel stop solenoid out i will have to take the timing cover off and have a look but the engine sounds fine when cranking over on the ignition and fuel flies out out of the main line where it goes to the fuel injector pump from filter but none comes out where the injectors come out the back of fip does this mean the injector timing could be out or timing belt snapped idont now i may afto invest in HAYNES manual thanks for the replys so faR

so i should take the fuel stop solenoid out i will have to take the timing cover off and have a look but the engine sounds fine when cranking over on the ignition and fuel flies out out of the main line where it goes to the fuel injector pump from filter but none comes out where the injectors come out the back of fip does this mean the injector timing could be out or timing belt snapped idont now i may afto invest in HAYNES manual thanks for the replys so far

broken belt the engine won't turn as it also drives the camshaft.as you not getting fuel at the rear connections it

could be a fault within the FIP, the drive from the front pulley to the distribution area at the rear of the FIP maybe broken.