Anyone else regret making changes to a project?

smo

Hi Dave,

Well no progress as such as ive been tied up at work however i havent ripped the autobox out which is actually progress in its self!!!

I shall be heading up to have a look and tackle them again this weekend.

Simon

I can empathise with you totally. I pushed my trialler into the garage for a refit in September last year with a loose timescale of about 3-4months in my head. However, i am now into month 12 unfortunately but my problem seems to be that I get to a bit of the "old" vehicle I don't like and lop it off!

It used to be a low compression ( and knackered) V8 with 4speed rangie box, rear mounted radiator, the lot. It is now a 3.9EI with 4speed auto. I too got to a time where I was working flat out on it and didn't seem to be getting anywhere. I think it was a case of I was doing jobs and then realised that there were another two to do for each initial job. Nightmare Thankfully I am in the home straight now - or at least I hope I am. I can see where you are coming from as it would be worse if I was waiting to drive it on the road. The frustration I have is I look forward to each trial and then it comes and goes. If the missus finds out that I have organised my holidays around the 2010 season trials she will go nuts!!

You will be on the home straight before you know it, chin up!

Regards,

Dave

PS if its of any interest to you, I have attached a pic of how i set up my gear lever and transfer lever (this was about June time!)

post-1345-125677798887_thumb.jpg

Simon, it is easy to get disheartened when considering the whole build - the best thing to do is make a list of 10 jobs, print them, stick them to the door and tick them off as you get them done. Once all the jobs are done, do the next list. That way you know you're making progress. I've also got the issue now that I've got a lot less time but cash is less of a problem so I'm looking for ways to farm out jobs that I can (eg machining, wiring, surface finisning, some welding etc). This will save you a whole heap of time.

Hi Simon,

when I was building my 110 double cab I got very disheartened ,like Will says making lists and then ticking things off makes you feel that you're getting somewhere :D

I also found focusing on what the finished vehicle would be like(I started with a nail and thought it would never be tidy) and not the stage you're at helps.

Most people lose there way/feel like they are getting nowhere but if stay positive you will achieve what you want to in the end.

And the good thing is the're are plenty of knowledgeable people on here(my self not included) to help you solve problems !

Good Luck :)

Gary

I know how you feel Simon. Sometimes working in less then ideal conditions on your own is disheartening enough.

If I was closer I would come over and help out, a different eye on things and someone to do the boring/tedious bits and make the decision and go with it on the problems helps a great deal.

I am currently tackling an electric conversion on an MR2 and some days I just sit and look at it trying to decide what to do with it. Usually I make a decision, go with it and then immediately after the point of no return I get the brain wave idea that would have saved me time, effort, money and a now unwanted hole in the car!

For your gear stick problem, try ignoring, for the moment, what you have and what the constraints are and place them where you want them. Then work backwards to see how you can make that configuration work either with different linkages or changing the shape of the tunnel or just the tunnel surface. It doesn't have to be fitted to the tunnel directly, maybe a centre console rising up to the dash with the the stick on it would work for example.