Beware Adrian Flux

alan kemp

Not had much trouble with AF until today.. Ive just bought a dirt cheap Disco to use as a tow truck, just cost me £690 to insure it with AF as i have nine points, wheras my 90 with all mods listed and worth over ten times that of the disco was £290 ?? very odd...now searching for cheap disco insurance !

As i said not really trouble with AF - just a very odd pricing policy !

I use Snowball (now Academy) who are not the cheapest but have

been more than fair, professional and understanding / helpfull since I insured

with them,

I agree with that, Academy does indeed give good service, I've just had my renewal through the post this morning, however, it has only gone down £20, now i've turned 25 and have 4 yrs NCB, so i'll be ringing around a few others befor i renew with them.

Hardyspicer,

I spoke to NFU in Kilmarnock yesterday about my Discovery & Defender based on the recomendations of this forum. Very helpful, right up to the point they quoted me £650 for the Disco alone.... almost 3 times my renewal from Adrian Flux.

It amazes me how Insurance can vary person by person and company by company... I would have thought I should have been easy to insure... early 30s, 10+NCB completely clean history etc.

Looks like AF will get my business again - although I have a few days still to shop around.

Mean Green

I phoned NFU direct which is in Glasgow and the quote was reasonable although not as good as Adrian Flux. However, I decided to go with NFU in the hope that you get what you pay for and I`ve always liked the idea of mutuality. Hopefully it`s not a case of cutting off one`s nose.

John

I agree with that, Academy does indeed give good service, I've just had my renewal through the post this morning, however, it has only gone down £20, now i've turned 25 and have 4 yrs NCB, so i'll be ringing around a few others befor i renew with them.

I had home insurance with a company that went under and Academy took it over from them. I got a three line letter telling me this and not to worry about it. At renewal time, i got another letter from them saying it was urgent i phone since some details may have been lost in the post. I phoned them and they barely had any idea of my address, they didnt know i rented a room out and essentially i had been without insurance as i doubt they would have honoured the previous agreement even thought they said in their intial letter that all was fine and there was no need for me to take any action!

I then asked for a new quote based on the fact that i rent out a room to someone and they quoted me for if i wasnt renting - useless. i asked for the quote i wanted and was told they would phone back - this was months ago adn to this day i havent had a call. They were a shambles!

I have two cars insured with Adrian Flux and have just recieved a renewal quote for my BMW. It was a similar cost to last year AT £692 with a £300 excess. Money being tight and all that, I thought I would get another quote. The first one I tried was LV, the were £259.00 cheaper so no question about where the insurance would be going. I phoned AF as they said they would guarantee to match any quote, I wanted to point out the error of their ways as the new quote from LV was with a £200 excess against AF's £300 and 16.5% credit interest against a whopping 37.7% with AF.

Whilst I was on the phone, I thought I would ask what refund I would get on my defender insurance should I wish to take that elsewhere. On a £480 policy which was taken out in July 2009, I would get back £47.00. They retain 75% of the insurance, £25.00 cancellation fee and they retain their commission.

Prior to my renewal on the defender, the renewal price was about £370.00, I waited a couple of weeks before renewing as the truck was off the road for repairs. When I renewed, they added another £100+ because there was a break in the policy.

They seem to think they have a right to rip us off if the policy is altered in any way.

To the original poster:

I apologise for any inconvenience surrounding your renewal. We ensure that the best possible quotation is offered when we issue the renewal invitation. This is based on our “known market”, which consists of the insurance companies that we deal with. If a customer makes us aware of a more competitive / appropriate policy elsewhere, we are happy to compete as we value their custom.

If our initial invitation based on the policies being offered by the insurance companies that we deal with is not the most competitive, this is not an error on our part as we would not be aware of the policies being offered elsewhere. If we are made aware of a larger market (alternative insurers) and a more competitive premium we will always attempt to compete.

Insurance companies do not automatically issue proportionate refunds on cancellation. In fact there is no legal requirement for an insurer to issue a refund, only if they have indicated it is available. Classic policies will typically issue no cancellation refund after the first 14 days and many other insurers apply “short period”, non-proportionate refunds, for example they may retain 25% of the annual premium for the first months cover and the whole annual premium if cover has been in force over 8 months.

The insurance company will confirm their charges in their policy booklet to ensure you are aware of the terms prior to cancellation. Furthermore, we confirm our terms and condition in respect of cancellation prior to inception and within our initial advices. You are entitled to a cooling-off period if you are not satisfied within any of the terms and condition of the insurance company or broker.

Adrian Flux Insurance would not have added £100 to a policy because there was a break in cover. As explained previously, we offer the best policy available to us at the time. An insurance company does not have to honour a renewal premium if the customer chose to allow their policy to lapse. It would appear that when you chose to insure the vehicle again the premiums were higher.

Regards,

Dan Clark,

Adrian Flux Insurance Services

..and you can't say fairer than that!

Insurers issue policy booklets for a reason! If you don't read the terms & conditions it is down to you! If you don't understand the T & Cs ring and ask - simples!

Personally, I'm happy with Adrian Flux, but that is not to say I won't look around for a better quote next renewal!

Steve

My renewal is due on Sunday. I think I am going to go with Adrian Flux again. They have given me by far the best price and will mirror one NCB onto a 2nd car BUT ... I am a little concerned by the cost of monthly payment. By my calc they are going to charge me 43% interest!! :rolleyes::angry:

Which seems hell of a steep!!!

I am currently rummaging around under sofas etc to see if I can find enough change to not need monthly payments!