bloody range rovers

Exmoor Beast

typical isn't it!

Lucy had to go to somewhere near Stroud to her Grannies 100th birthday lunch at some posh hotel so I checked the oil and water and sent her on her way in the P38 this morning.

She has just phoned to say she has left but only got 1/2 mile before the clutch went straight to the floor. No drive, sounds like the fluids all gone somewhere other than staying in the system. AARRRGGGHHH

I am going to have to cook my own dinner!

Will :(

I had that happen on my IIA (30 years apart, probably same problem :lol: ) - the slave cylinder seals failed catastrophically, so the fluid was pouring out as fast as I could pour it in. I ended up driving 240 miles home with no clutch - but I don't suppose that is an option with the P38 (or is it???) :huh::lol:

but I don't suppose that is an option with the P38 (or is it???) :huh::lol:

Yeah I can drive the P38 with no clutch, Lucy can't though and she is 100 miles from home with a potential 4 hour wait to get recovered and then a 3 hour drive home in the RAC wagon. She will be in a great mood tonight :(

Does anyone know where the clutch fluid reservoir is offhand? I can't remember and Lucy can't see it to check. I am hoping its a small leak and they can chuck some fluid in and she can drive home.

Will :)

cheeky bleeder Bish :P , must admit I could do with shedding a pound or two at the moment, been a bit too keen on the beer of late and a bit lazy on the walking front.

Well the RAC contractor has just turned up and loaded the RR without even looking at it!

Lucy told him to check and see if its just got low and let air in but he wasn't interested.

So, I paid the RAC £24 to add Lucy to my policy and they are bringing the p38 home for nothing. It would have cost us more than that in fuel! It will take the truck probably the best part of 3 hours to get here then 3 hours back to base so thats 6 hours driving + rest time for one man + fuel. Not to mention tying up a recovery truck for the equivalent of a day. Madness.

I bet I stick £3 worth of fluid in tomorrow and it works just fine.

Scary thought - recovery drivers are exempt from driver's hours, so there'll be no waiting time if he's paid piece rate and he's caught gethomeitis. I remember complaining to Green Flag after they contracted a local garage to get me home - the bloke had been working 28 hours straight already, I refused to get in the wagon with him.

She finally got home at 10pm. They unloaded the p38 and I jumped in, drove it down the road and parked it neatly between two cars without the aid of the clutch.

Women.

Off to buy some fluid and will report back. luckily I have to go to Devon4x4 today to collect the wheels and tyres for the Discovery 'project' so I can pick up any bits I need to fix the RR before it finally goes tomorrow.

right out as in gone through its full length of travel and kept going until the piston and all the fluid dropped out :(

Same thing happened before Christmas and I had it fixed at d4x4 along with the gear linkage that went shortly after, 10 days later the gearbox went and d4x4 replaced it with a brand new box. Now I am back at square one.

Will :(

Phew the Disco passed its MOT yesterday so at least I can collect that today.

P38 is off to D4x4 as soon as I can con someone into driving my 110 down there to follow me so I can bring the Discoverys new rims and BFGs back, then I can go and collect the Discovery this afternoon. not much work getting done today then :(

Will, you had really terrible luck with that P38! Hopefully itll be sorted quickly and without much more financial outlay

Yep. I still think its been a cracking car to own, we have done a lot of miles in it and they have been effortless. Lots of fun.

I will be glad to jump aboard the new Discovery this afternoon, fit the new wheels and tyres tomorrow and go laning at the weekend in it :)