ZF HP22 or 24 Torque Capacity

Tomcat Nev

Sorry Al, your totally right.

Steff, that gives a figure of, about, 380 Nm and 490 Nm

Hey, its cool - I do it myself when I'm not thinking too hard. I don't know why but it seems to be kind of the accepted way of writing it... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Al.

:)

P.S. Just to be pedantic, for the record it's lbft, not lb / ft which means pounds PER foot and is not a torque. It's funny that people always write Nm correctly (not N/m), but often put lb/ft.

Well I usually put lb ft not lbft or lb/ft so what do you make of that then? :D

Nm are a nasty foreign invention that should be banned along with kilowobbles and driving on the wrong side of the road bah humbug :ph34r:;) ;)

Thanks, thats just what i need.

It means that a 24 internaled 22 (if there was such a word!) will take a chevy................ :D

Nev

Yes, that's what I've got and as long as you keep it cool and aren't tuning it madly it should be OK. You can still make a 24 spec box go bang (ask Lara :ph34r: )

Thanks, thats just what i need.

It means that a 24 internaled 22 (if there was such a word!) will take a chevy................ :D

Nev

If it's going behind a chevy, why not a th350/400 or a built 700r4, if you are wanting to keep a land rover transfer case advanced adapters do conversions from the above to lt230.

Advanced Adapters

Hi there,

I think you will find just like me that an HP22/4 will not take 360ftlb / 490Nm torque for very long.

My 90 has exactly 490NM and has eaten 5 or 6, 22/4s and at least as many torque converters (even specially uprated ones)

I now have a specially uprated HP24 and a special 12" torque converter to cope with the power.

Hopefully that setup will last.

If doing it again I would 1000% deffinately fit a Yank box, probably a TH700

Lara.

Yeah, what he said. Those ratings look pretty marginal for most Chevy engines. As he says, why not run a box designed for more torque?

I'm currently goingthrough the exact same nightmare with manual boxes and chevys... Seem to be settling on the NV4500 as the alternatives are either marginal on torque capacity or too long.

Bogmonster - try to be more contraversial, start using ft lbs... :P

Al.

Hmmm, i wanted to keep the 4 speed box if possible but having looked at the cost of uprating the HP22 to HP24 and then changing to LT230 i can buy a complete VHD TH350 with manual shift etc that will last all day long.

Therefore sticking a LT230 on the back of a TH350 is what i think i shall do, i checked Advanced Adaptors out and they seem to do everything except a TH350 to LT230.

Marks4x4 in Australia do a TH400 to LT230 conversion but i have no idea whether this can be modified or even if it fits directly on a TH350.

Nev

P.S. i might have some RV8 4.6 tuning parts for sale soon...... includind Twin Plenum set up.

Hmmm, i wanted to keep the 4 speed box if possible but having looked at the cost of uprating the HP22 to HP24 and then changing to LT230 i can buy a complete VHD TH350 with manual shift etc that will last all day long.

Therefore sticking a LT230 on the back of a TH350 is what i think i shall do, i checked Advanced Adaptors out and they seem to do everything except a TH350 to LT230.

Marks4x4 in Australia do a TH400 to LT230 conversion but i have no idea whether this can be modified or even if it fits directly on a TH350.

Nev

P.S. i might have some RV8 4.6 tuning parts for sale soon...... includind Twin Plenum set up.

Advanced adapters do do one, A friend of mine had one off them less than a year ago.

But that said i carn't find it on there website either.

Worth giving them a call to find out if they still sell them,