clutch problem

hi

200tdi disco engine in landy 90

fitted new complete HD clutch, release bearing, welded the fork

fitted new master cylinder

fitted new slave cylinder (TD model)

i can drive but after a while the cluch pedal goes almost to the floor

pump the pedal and i seem to get the clutch back after a while the pedal goes to the floor??????

when i engage 1st gear i only have to release the clutch a few inches and clutch bites

what else can i do check?????

i have bled and bled the bloody clutch until i am blue in the face

many thanks

hi

pump the pedal and i seem to get the clutch back after a while the pedal goes to the floor??????

when i engage 1st gear i only have to release the clutch a few inches and clutch bites

many thanks

Have you readjusted the pedal height, slave cylinder and master cylinder pushrod? Western has a guide on the Technical Archive.

AGAIN always do a search/tech archive first, clutch pedal adjustment is in the link below

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=49339

i should have written that i adjusted the master cylinder when i fitted it using the info on the tech site :rolleyes::rolleyes:

HOWEVER i have not adjusted the slave cylinder push rod as errol209 states in his reply

how do i adjust the slave cylinder push rod??????????????????

many thanks

Dont think you can adjust the slave cylinder pushrod, just the pushrod on the pedal.

Did you fit the slave cylinder the correct way up? If the bleed nipple is lower than the input pipe it is upside down and you will have trouble bleeding it properly no matter how long you bleed.

There is no adjustment for the slave cylinder rod, I think Errol got himself confused while writing his reply.

slave cylinder should have it's bleed screw at the top or as close to the top as the attachment bolts will allow.

reckon there's still air in the system.

If the pedal is sinking to the floor and you aren't losing fluid, then the Master Cylinder seals aren't holding pressure.

What make is your new Master Cylinder - LR Genuine Parts, Delphi/Lockheed, or the dreaded Britpart?

Britpart ones have been known to be $h!te, straight from the box mad.gif

You can test the Master Cylinder by clamping-off the flexible hose USING THE CORRECT TOOL and the pedal should be rock hard and not sink.

If the pedal is sinking to the floor and you aren't losing fluid, then the Master Cylinder seals aren't holding pressure.

What make is your new Master Cylinder - LR Genuine Parts, Delphi/Lockheed, or the dreaded Britpart?

Britpart ones have been known to be $h!te, straight from the box mad.gif

You can test the Master Cylinder by clamping-off the flexible hose USING THE CORRECT TOOL and the pedal should be rock hard and not sink.

lads

many thanks for the info

paul

i believe its not ****epart

will try the flexible hose trick and see what happens

i have replaced quite a few clutches and this is the only one that seems to have done my head in, also shes up for MOT on wednesday night

again many thanks

hi

many thanks

Have you moved the pipe to the slave cylinder over, so that its as far away from the exhaust as possible? You could try fitting a heat shield between it and the exhaust.

With the Disco engine fitted, it's very close to what is about the hottest part of the exhaust, which can cause vaporisation of the clutch fluid. Some recommend using high temp. brake fluid.

Hope this may be of help to you!(at least, something else you can check)

There is no adjustment for the slave cylinder rod, I think Errol got himself confused while writing his reply.

Yer, sorry. :blush: I'll take 40 lines

I will consult the WSM before making pronouncements

hi all

just a little up date on the clutch problem

started at the begining and carried out fault finding, checked the master cylinder by putting mole grips on the hose, hard pedal

checked all the pipe work, as stated in another post CV on LR4X4 found the hose to the slave cylinder badly twisted, removed the slave cylinder and fixed.

used westerns drawing and set the master cylinder exactly as per the drawing (to be honest it was close to the settings)

put every thing back together and bled the clutch and GUESS what its working

IN FACT "GREENGRASS" PAST THE MOT TONIGHT yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :D:D:D:D the 90 also had insa turbos on and nothing was said about them :D:D:D:D

to be honest i cant see what if anything i did different but i now have a working clutch

many thanks to everyone who posted ;);)

big ives aka Ivan