Eberspacher in a TD5

Speedy_Gonzales

Ive poured through countless threads and forums on the subject of fitting an ebesrapcher air heater to a TD5 but still need a couple more pointers!

Heres where Im at...

Ive mounted my D2 heater between the front passenger seat and bulkhead (I have a 110 hardtop), this required me to cut away some of the alluminium edging behind the seat to fit (will post some pics on this) and I took away one of the plates on the bulkhead to allow blower access to the rear. I might change this in the future as Ive seen a great example of one mounted under the drivers seat, but not sure if there is enough room in the TD5 amongst all the electric gizmos.

Next comes the fuel feed, dont try T'ing into the existing fuel lines as they are high pressure (low pressure return) and will cause problems for the heater pump. Plus they need to have the engine running for a continuous feed.

Instead, the TD5 fuel pump has a blanked off feed for use when a 'fuel burning heater' is required to pre-heat the water cooling system (I guess this is for trucks used in really cold climates).

Its number 1 in the attached diagram:

post-4620-125959438672_thumb.jpg

You need to cut the top off the plastic nipple and use a 30cm feeder tube into the bottom of the tank...

This is the bit Im stuck on as Im unsure how to attach the fuel line to both the feed and the nipple (to make it air tight) and what the dimensions are (any help appreciated here!)

I found these pics on a dutch website of the nipple and the attached feed:

post-4620-125959466291_thumb.jpg

post-4620-12595946981_thumb.jpg

Im going to have to cut a hole in the rear load bay to access the pump, the following pics provide some clarity on dimensions etc:

post-4620-125959511504_thumb.jpg

post-4620-125959514245_thumb.jpg

Will provide an update on this when I make progress! Once I get an answer on this might be worth the mods moving it to the technical archive :)

Jamie

Ive poured through countless threads and forums on the subject of fitting an ebesrapcher air heater to a TD5 but still need a couple more pointers!

Heres where Im at...

Ive mounted my D2 heater between the front passenger seat and bulkhead (I have a 110 hardtop), this required me to cut away some of the alluminium edging behind the seat to fit (will post some pics on this) and I took away one of the plates on the bulkhead to allow blower access to the rear. I might change this in the future as Ive seen a great example of one mounted under the drivers seat, but not sure if there is enough room in the TD5 amongst all the electric gizmos.

Next comes the fuel feed, dont try T'ing into the existing fuel lines as they are high pressure (low pressure return) and will cause problems for the heater pump. Plus they need to have the engine running for a continuous feed.

Instead, the TD5 fuel pump has a blanked off feed for use when a 'fuel burning heater' is required to pre-heat the water cooling system (I guess this is for trucks used in really cold climates).

Its number 1 in the attached diagram:

post-4620-125959438672_thumb.jpg

You need to cut the top off the plastic nipple and use a 30cm feeder tube into the bottom of the tank...

This is the bit Im stuck on as Im unsure how to attach the fuel line to both the feed and the nipple (to make it air tight) and what the dimensions are (any help appreciated here!)

I found these pics on a dutch website of the nipple and the attached feed:

post-4620-125959466291_thumb.jpg

post-4620-12595946981_thumb.jpg

Im going to have to cut a hole in the rear load bay to access the pump, the following pics provide some clarity on dimensions etc:

post-4620-125959511504_thumb.jpg

post-4620-125959514245_thumb.jpg

Will provide an update on this when I make progress! Once I get an answer on this might be worth the mods moving it to the technical archive smile.gif

Jamie

good find, haven't bolt my rear tub down yet so have access. i guess you cut the nipple off and pass the tube down through the tube into the tank? that way it's a continuos pip and just requires sealing around the top?

I'd like to stick the pipe in for my extra heater now so i can finish it later on.

The "nipple" is just a dust cap - 1st photo - as you say cut off. Can't you just use a "jubilee" clip on some rubber hose as in the 2nd pic? The heater doesn't create a "lot of suck" on its own fuel line. On my 300Tdi, rubber hose and jubilee clips direct onto my Wabastos hard plastic fuel lines is what I used...The Wabasto fuel pipe is around 5mm in diameter which is probably similar to the Eberspacher, any reason why you can't measure the tank pump end spigot diameter or have you not got (at) the pump yet?

Hi!

I cut the nibble, put some rubber fuel hose inside the cut, about half way, fed the plastic fuel hose to the level of the fuel pump bottom. Then used two hose clamps to secure. You can add Sikaflex or some other bonding sealant to make sure. Works well. Btw, I have D4 under driver seat, in the same compartment with the battery. (LHD)

any reason why you can't measure the tank pump end spigot diameter or have you not got (at) the pump yet?

Not gone in yet Simon, so just wanted to get some ideas first.

The existing fueline I've got is about 3-4mm thick so looks like I will have to pack it out tight into the nipple with hose or something as PetethePilot has suggested. The fuel line then needs to feed through 30cm into the bottom of the tank to pick up fuel.

I think in the 2nd pic the hose secured to the nipple is an outer rubber sheath, the fueline underneath.

Cheers

Jamie

why not just use the LR gen part? JEI100030, last one i purchased was £3 + VAT (IIRC) it feeds straight in and seals to the gland etc, connect the fuel pipe straight to it.

I would drop the tank to fit it rather than cut a whole, it is a very simple task to do and saves butchering the vehicle.

why not just use the LR gen part? JEI100030, last one i purchased was £3 + VAT (IIRC) it feeds straight in and seals to the gland etc, connect the fuel pipe straight to it.

I would drop the tank to fit it rather than cut a whole, it is a very simple task to do and saves butchering the vehicle.

Thanks for this James, I searched Microcat as someone provided me with the code 'MPN JEI 100030', but I couldnt find it anywhere... what section is it under?

I also heard that dropping the tank was a ball-ache (hence cutting the rear load area), you got some instructions / guidance on the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

Thanks for this James, I searched Microcat as someone provided me with the code 'MPN JEI 100030', but I couldnt find it anywhere... what section is it under?

I also heard that dropping the tank was a ball-ache (hence cutting the rear load area), you got some instructions / guidance on the best way to do this?

Thanks in advance

Jamie

forget microcat - just phone your local parts guy and ask them, just phoned mine to double check prior to posting this as exter4x4 dont stock it but can get it in from the main stealer for £7.36 + VAT (obviously gone up since i did mine (10yrs ago?))

dropping the tank has been covered on here before but from memory, drop the towhitch, undo the bolts holder the metal guard to the frame, tank is support beneath by this, guard will come off, then drop the tank which is easier on a 110 than a 90 but may still require some pulling around/levering

Try the part number without the space. Microcat lists JEI100030 and JEI100040 under Discovery II.

The 30 & 40 codes are used to differentiate between leftcand right hand drive, not sure what difference that would

make to the hose mind!

£5.36 + vat direct from the stealers.

Thanks y'all:)

• 2 weeks later...

The 30 & 40 codes are used to differentiate between leftcand right hand drive, not sure what difference that would

make to the hose mind!

£5.36 + vat direct from the stealers.

Thanks y'all:)

Gents this is a bum steer and doesnt appear to be the right part, its just a 3" piece of rubber hose, going to get creative and try something like Pete the Pilot has suggested above instead...

Gents this is a bum steer and doesnt appear to be the right part, its just a 3" piece of rubber hose, going to get creative and try something like Pete the Pilot has suggested above instead...

well i am sorry for giving you a 'bum steer' i was only trying to help, that was the part i used to fit a wesbato to my td5 90 and it comes up on my EPC (which is 3mths old) as the same part i used, a pipe that drops in through the nipple in the top of the tank sender unit to the bottom (ish) of the tank. i will remind myself not to bother next time.

It´s my way or Highway... :closedeyes: Actually that´s how they install them here, got my advice from LR dealer/garage. And actually THE official LR part is 3" rubber hose you use as a collar to put that plastic pipe into the pump. Just make sure it won´t go too deep thus touching the bottom of the tank and sucking all the debris. Try to find that depth where it it´s in the bottom of the fuel pump and then tension it there with those clips.

My D4 actually came with suitable piece of rubber hose. But those fuel lines on the tank were PITA to disconnect and connect. I broke one connector and had to buy a new hose. Luckily it was the shortest one and could be found from the dealer´s shelf. Wasn´t that easy to replace and quite expensive too... :mellow:

Well, did it myself and saved... ;)

• 2 weeks later...

well i am sorry for giving you a 'bum steer' i was only trying to help, that was the part i used to fit a wesbato to my td5 90 and it comes up on my EPC (which is 3mths old) as the same part i used, a pipe that drops in through the nipple in the top of the tank sender unit to the bottom (ish) of the tank. i will remind myself not to bother next time.

JST, no offence intended mate, someone else gave me this code number too!!! I was only trying to be helpful too!

The stealers came back with the 3" pipe when I submitted the code number to them, though apparently there is another pipe also (the dealer acknowledged this but could'nt find it on Microcat).. Might be a microcat issue if it showing up on the latest version...

Do you have the code number for the plastic pipe?

Woaw James.......got cabin fever?!