Disco 200 heater

Chicken Drumstick

Hi. I did ask ages back but failed to do anything about it then. Could do with some advice please.

I've got an early 91'ish 200tdi Disco. The heater fan has packed up or jammed on it and in the cold weather it's proving to be a real pain.

I know it's not easy to get at the blower fan motor. But does anyone know what I need to remove to get at it???

I had a look at the weekend but to me it looks like it might require the entire dash to be dropped off, anyone know if there is another way??

Thanks.

Hi

I've done a few of these and as already mentioned you have to remove the dash (the seats and steering wheel are also a good idea) it is a long job but not that difficault just make sure that the heater that you are going to put in works first as it has been known for people to fit a duff unit.

Also it is quite difficult to replace just the motor as it is inside the heater box that is welded togeather (plastic) this is not to say it cannot be done but a fully working replacement unit is a lot easyer option.

Good luck.

Mouse.

Ok i've just pulled the dash out (again) this morning.

Dont bother touching the seats, no idea why anyone would take those out as they're not in the way at all, and you can then comfortably sit on them while doing the work.

Anyway, i've taken the sides off the heater box to access the motor, but i cant see how its meant to come out at all. It seems to have been installed in the heater box before the two halves are assembled together, and i just cant see any way of getting the motor out without splitting the heaterbox in half.

I've had a look at my motors bearings and they dont seem siezed. I added some WD40 to see if it made any difference and it didnt. There is however quite a bit of side to side play in the motor shaft, so i presume that means its shot.

Can anyone confirm that i cant remove the motor without stripping the heater box completely?

Cheeers

Are the 200 Disco heaters (i've got an early V8 Disco )and the Range Rover classic heaters the same ??

From my experience the 90 RRC and 91 Disco heaters are the same.

The unit was not plastic-welded together but the halves were held with multiple clips, rivets and screws.

The unit needs to be removed and the halves separated prior to removal of the fan motor.

The fan motor and fan come as an assembly

Re-assembly of the heater box is tricksy - unless you have three hands with extra-long and flexible fingers..

Don't rely on the original settings of the control rods - my Disco ones (which looked factory) were miles out resulting in a poor heat output.