A-Bar / Bull bar??? (Defender 110 CSW)

I’ve been keen to buy an A-Bar for my Defender 110 CSW, but am wondering if these bars are mainly just cosmetic and mainly useful for putting extra lights on.

I’d thought that an A-bar would offer some protection in the case of a lightish front-end bump, but maybe they’re not very useful.

I wonder if a bull bar would be better, but in fact don’t need the headlight protection that these usually offer, as I already have strong “farmer’s gate” –type light protectors.

I am overseas where legal issues are not a problem.

Any thoughts on this?

hi

I think A-bars look the business, they sort of finish a landy off? they give any landy an awesome prescence, dont like the full wrap-a-round kind, i know the have their uses for protection of lights etc... but they do suggest farm vehicles? I will be picking my A-bar up on Monday, can't wait, xmas has come earlybiggrin.gif

Hi Ive always found that "bull bars" cause more damage to the vehicle that they are supposed to be protecting.

I also had one on my old 200tdi disco and as it was one that had a bar that went below the bumper it used to get snagged when off roading and was a liability,and an extra item that needed straightening up after a trip off road!

If you just want something to put extra lights on, i would personally go for a "simbar" from somewhere like craddocks and some seperate light covers.

Also the really heavy agricultural type bars weigh a ton and will hammer your fuel consumption even more! :huh:

Bullbars/a bars are like wheels, a very individual choice, they do offer some protection on the front end, but bear in mind it will be attached to the bumper, which in turn is attached to the chassis, so a decent bump will quite possibly bend the bumper and/or chassis.

i have an a-bar fitted for the following reasons;

i like the look.

i have spots attached.

we live in the countryside, so it gives *some* protection on the front end, mainly from animals, if i hit a deer without it it'd cause damage to the grill and radiator at least, whereas with an a-bar it'd probably be ok.

it gives me a point to attach ropes and things (not for towing!)

i don't feel the need for a full bullbar as i don't think i would get any advantage over an a-bar.

at the end of the day (as with most mods) it's what YOU want for YOUR vehicle. :)

In any substantial bump they usually cause more damage due to the leverage exerted on the mounting points and the fact that it is an extra bit of metal being pushed into the bonnet/wings. The only exceptions to this are the proper "roo bars" that the Aussies use which are designed to fend off roo's, bull bars aren't designed to fend off bulls. Trouble is the "real" roo bars weigh about 1/2 ton!

I have an ARB Winch Bumper/Bar on my 110 (see Sig. Pic.)

I wanted somewhere to mount a hefty winch (Warn M10000) and some frontal protection for me :D

I don't think legislation should dictate to me the protection I can afford to myself :angry2:

Jaywalkers and Numptys who can't drive aren't my responsibility.

I'll do my best to avoid them, but if they can't be avoided, then I want to have the best protection possible.

I'm saving my pennies for an ARB Sahara Bar for my D2, albeit without the A-Bar (THANK YOU VERY MUCH tiphat.gif Mr Un-Elected Eurocrat :angry2: )

Here's some pictures I found on t'internet of a 110 that had hit a cow at 60mph -

post-148-126020707701_thumb.jpg . post-148-126020708019_thumb.jpg . post-148-126020707416_thumb.jpg

Poor Daisy seems to have pooed herself on impact :blink:

Fact is if you hit anything over a certain speed it will bend something.

I think the ARB in the cow images may have saved allot more than the engine though,

I live in a land where wild animals roam free and it is dark half the year and there are no street lights in most of the area. ARB it is for me.

The ARB has 4 bolts per chassis rail, just for kicks, to make it stronger so it will have more of a job folding in on it's self, I got welded in an extra section inside between the two chassis rails.

Fact is if you hit anything over a certain speed it will bend something.

I think the ARB in the cow images may have saved allot more than the engine though,

I live in a land where wild animals roam free and it is dark half the year and there are no street lights in most of the area. ARB it is for me.

The ARB has 4 bolts per chassis rail, just for kicks, to make it stronger so it will have more of a job folding in on it's self, I got welded in an extra section inside between the two chassis rails.

On my ARB Bumper, I've drilled the mountings out to take M12 H/T Bolts, both down through the chassis rails and across them.

I believe that ARB's design brief is to protect the vehicle's radiator and front end in an impact with a large animal at up to 60mph, leaving the vehicle still driveable.

Don't forget, these are designed for Australia where an accident in the back-of-beyond, if the vehicle was disabled, could mean the occupants also become casualties.

True this, I have been living in London fro 10 years, and Dalston is just like a jungle, all those stupid fixed gear riders, they are like lemmings undertaking on right hand corners. However, last year I brought a farm just an hour south of the Arctic circle, so over the darker parts of winter of was here, the rest of the time I have lived an hours drive north from Umeå, Sweden. Moving for good in April...

Here is a picture, am the less street lights the better really as light pollution is really difficult on allot of animals, such as Badgers....