Wheels

fekete

Hi all i'v just put some new wheels and tires on me landy, They are 33/12.50/15 the rims are 10/15 and stick out a little, My concern is is this legal or illegal, They stick out about 2" i'v had all kinds of answers yes there legal no there not, Is there some one on here how can clear this up for me who is in the know.

Thanks in advance

The C&U regs state that the arch must cover the full width of the tyre for 120 degrees of the circumferance as viewed directly from above.

If you were stopped by the police and given a producer (7 day rectification notice) the tyres would have to have covered to get a stamp and signature.

But if you were stopped by the police and VOSA, and a VOSA AE gave you a prohibition notice. you would would have to have a full mot test carried out and even if you hadn't rectified the wheel arches i would still have to issue a mot certificate (if it didn't fail on anything else) and you could then have the prohibition notice lifted.

Right Guys i guess its just a matter of time then.... do's anybody no where i can get some sort of rubber to extend the arches... is there a company that sells this... and is there a type that just clips on to the original arches.

Ignorance is a carp excuse if you announce your intentions on an internet forum :rolleyes:

Just stick some extended arches on - you won't be able to see out of the windows after the first puddle otherwise, ask me how I know :P

FridgeFreezer I'm not being totally ignorant...thats why i'm on here trying to get this right....as i said in my earlier post i was going to act ignorant... its because at the time i was not sure where i stood

Answer has already been covered - tyre tread should not protrude futher then wheel arches when viewed from above.

You'd be unlucky to be stopped by the Police for this, and even if you were then a VDRS would have it covered. An FPN if you were unlucky.

I'd be FAR more worried about VOSA. I was out with one of their guys yesterday. A fella in an HGV without his previous tacho charts was fined £200 :blink:

Get some extended wheel arches - they're not expensive, and you'll keep the sides of your vehicle cleaner!