de cat or is it a waste of time and money?

milliejasper1111

I have an s plate 300 tdi safari 1340000 on the clock and its starting to feel sluggish, im going to clean out intercooler,pipes,inlet manafold,etc etc, and while im at it thinking of doing away with the cat and middle box.

would this be of any benifit? ive done away with the EGR (didnt seem to do much at the time) Just need it to perk up a bit!

thanks Ian

you can order a front pipe with flexi (but no cat) from a timax supplier (unipart/express factors etc), part number LR196J, this is essentially the same as the cat pipe, but obviously without the cat :)

I got a "performance exhaust" from paddocks for about £40. it came as a straight pipe instead of a centre box, and a rear section, with all clamps etc....which was pretty good value.

with the egr removed, intercooler, manifold and pipes cleaned, head decoked, and the cat evicted, mine is definately better low down, and in this cold weather it shifts along at a fair rate as well, when road conditions allow anyway.

Would anyone advice the flexi de-cat pipe or just a normal de-cat pipe? The original pipe is flexi so I presume another flexi is the prefered replacement? The cost difference is pretty huge but the advantages might not be worth it?

I used the non-flexi one on mine when I did mine (click here) 3 years ago and it caused no problems for me at all. In fact the same downpipe is still on the engine now that I have transplanted it into the defender.

Pete.