PMC CV Joint Conversion Kit

henk

Has someone experience with this company ?

http://www.pooyamehvar.com/land_rover_parts.html

Well many years ago i was in contact with them to try and get one disc brake kit, but they seem to deal in large orders and have a minimum order quantity, i was going to try and order a lot but back then finances where very poor, plus my location ment it was a no brainer, too costly to re export the kits, local market is a real flop for series vehicles upgrades, hence project abandoned. I belive ti console used to import stuff from them.

G

Why would you need CV's anyway - plenty of people run permanent 4x4 with UJ's.

The reason for doing so would be strength.

Series 2-3 front axle UJ's at 2 15/16" are the same size as early series propshaft UJ's and not very strong.Also the halfshafts are made of cheese, you can cut through the splines with a blunt hacksaw.1948 to 1953 Tracta joints were far superior and tended to last a very long time even when the swivel housings were full of sand or mud.,They are probably superior to Birfield joints as well. but the inner halfshafts are 3/4'' too short for series 2 and 3 axle housings. I did modify a batch of them for my old 6x6 by cutting long side shafts to the correct length to make the short side and resplining to 24 splines.The long side was made up by adding a female 24 splined sleeve and stub shaft to a short axle to make up the length.

Bill.

The reason for doing so would be strength.

Series 2-3 front axle UJ's at 2 15/16" are the same size as early series propshaft UJ's and not very strong.Also the halfshafts are made of cheese, you can cut through the splines with a blunt hacksaw.1948 to 1953 Tracta joints were far superior and tended to last a very long time even when the swivel housings were full of sand or mud.,They are probably superior to Birfield joints as well. but the inner halfshafts are 3/4'' too short for series 2 and 3 axle housings. I did modify a batch of them for my old 6x6 by cutting long side shafts to the correct length to make the short side and resplining to 24 splines.The long side was made up by adding a female 24 splined sleeve and stub shaft to a short axle to make up the length.

Bill.

Interesting Bill, I have always admired the simplicity and ruggedness of the Tracta joint. But haven't seen or heard of any people using them so I assumed they where carp. But you don't think so? I think they are quite clever and suitable for permanent 4wd aswell right?

Interesting Bill, I have always admired the simplicity and ruggedness of the Tracta joint. But haven't seen or heard of any people using them so I assumed they where carp. But you don't think so? I think they are quite clever and suitable for permanent 4wd aswell right?

Yes Soren, they are a constant velocity joint, so very suitable for permanent 4wd.The 80" landrovers were permanent 4wd.the reason Rover stopped using them was cost, as in pre CNC machinary times they were very expensive to produce.

In typical slack Rover fashion though, they did leave a few razor sharp edges that could lead to cracking,so a few minutes with a die grinder is worth the effort.I did break a couple one day when the front wheels were off the ground while climbing over a 3ft diameter log. the top swivel pins punched the ends out of the railko bushes, causing linear misalignment of the tracta joint assembly.I converted to taper roller swivel bearings after that and never had any further problems despite regularly using low 1st gear of 87:1, a healthy 3.3 litre engine and very heavy world war 2 vintage 9.00x16'' tyres.

I believe the reason of the tracta joint not being used more widely is one of wear: when going round a corner there are highly loaded components sliding against each other, whereas in CV's or UJ's, there is only rolling resistance, resulting in less wear.

Daan

I believe the reason of the tracta joint not being used more widely is one of wear: when going round a corner there are highly loaded components sliding against each other, whereas in CV's or UJ's, there is only rolling resistance, resulting in less wear.

Daan

That certainly hasn't been my experience from the number of neglected front ends I removed tracta joints from vehicles used on farms and beaches over here. Try draining the oil out of swivel housings ad replacing it with sand or mud to see how long a birfield or unsealed UJ lasts.Anyway with the 6x6 I was breaking UJ's and yokes nearly every time out,but aside from the afore mentioned hiccups with the railko bushes never had any problems with tractas.Even the 10 spline outers held up well despite destroying every brand of free wheel hub on the market.

Bill.

Always good to hear a voice of experience...I stand corrected. It is a bit strange that they arent more widely used, I have never seen one in my life.

Daan

Most WW2 British 4x4s,early(G60)Nissan Patrols, Post War Dodge Power Wagons and some Rockwells had Tracta's.

Anecdotaly, Britains lack of home built 4x4 trucks during WW2 relative to the US and Germany was due to scarce production facilties for producing Tracta Joints.Don't know why they didn't think of using UJ's at the time.

Bill.