Stainless Exhaust for RRC

reggie

Been looking for a stainless exhaust for the rangie & the cheapest I've found is £480 with manifolds, that also includes VAT & delivery.

I've googled it & not found a lot. Been watching a set of manifolds & centre box on ebay but it's already at £215. From what I have found out it's very difficult to buy just the rest of the exhaust, you have to buy the whole lot (centre box all the way to the back)£314 inc VAT & delivery. So as you can see works out cheaper to buy the Exhaust new for £480.

Anybody know anywhere to get the whole exhaust inc manifolds for less than £480?

I did something similar to the lads above. A local independant tyres, exhausts etc emporium up here fabricated mine, stainless all the way, £300 fitted. They did it to my spec and routing so it's tucked up out of harms way, has a couple of small free flowing boxes so it's got a nice V8 burble (barks under load at revs) but isn't objectionably noisy.

I bought complete Janspeed system. Headers are no SS, the rest is. In my opinion it is much louder. Although sound is very strong...If i knew it before i probably wouldn't bought it. It is OK when driving on roads( heavy acceleration - perfect) but i don't like it when offroad. When offroad i don't like very loud cars and this is the egde where it is acceptable and where not.

Tubular headers are also moving torque up in RPM range( i read somewhere) and i have same feeling. It is more revy(i)?

whats wrong with double s the fit seems spot on?

Not on my Defender 110 with a 3.9 V8 :-(

When I got it the off-side manifold fouled the chassis rail - fair enough I thought, it was originally a 2.5 petrol Defender. However I've since rebuilt the thing on a genuine V8 chassis, LT85 gearbox, V8 engine and gearbox mounts etc. and it still touches the chassis on the cylinder 5 header. It also doesn't have enough mounts to my mind - one before the (single) silencer box and one at the tail pipe and is prone to clunking over bumps. No Lambda sensor bosses either. Sounds nice though!

I've I can find a stainless steel exhaust maker around Cambridgeshire, I'll go and get it made right some day.

AC.

I have a Double S sports system on mine. Wouldn't have another as a gift.

The fit was appalling - pipes incorrectly bent, flares too small & had to be expanded to enable the pipes to fit together, o/s manifold fouled the starter motor & had to be replaced, centre box started to rattle after 6 months, fittings are mild steel, the pipework under the car is covered in rust, the flare joint of Y-pipe to front silencer has rusted through.

When the box started to rattle I was advised to drive the car down to them so they could have a look at it. As I was unable to do that I asked them to SELL me a replacement box. No reply.

Hope they have improved their act!

I've got a Rimmer Brothers stainless sport system on my Rangey, it fitted spot on and sounds really good. It's been on 5 years now with no problems. My mate's got a Double S system on his 90 and we had to do a few tweeks here and there to get it to fit.

I've used Double S exhausts for years,never really had a problem with them.But today I started fitting one to a RRC that had a 200TDI conversion a few years back.I knew before I started that it would not fit straight on but I was disappointed to see that they had chosen to supply it without a male radius end on the rear of the centre silencer. This means fitting a mild steel double sided cone section - not what you want really on a SS system.

Luckily Merlin Motor Sport are just up the road and I was able to pick up just the right SS bits to make a nice sliding fit joint that will improve the overall fit of the system.( And its a nice little job for my new Tig set.)

Looking at the rest of the system its clear that they are not what they used to be - or what I saw of them in the past.