disco 200tdi

hi i`ve got a 1991 defender with a shot engine which is the 200tdi i was going too replace with the disco 200tdi will it fit straight in with all the defender turbo and down pipes??? also will the bellhouse be the same???

For a straight fit you'd need to swap the turbo + inlet and exhaust manifolds, as well as the flywheel housing.

The Disco has a low mounted turbo whereas the genuine Defender one is mounted high up.

With regards to the flywheel housing, they are the same casting but there is a difference in bolt/stud pattern, it is possible to modify one to fit the other, but if you've got the original you may as well swap it and replace the rear crank seal at the same time.

HTH.

Mark

hi i`ve got a 1991 defender with a shot engine which is the 200tdi i was going too replace with the disco 200tdi will it fit straight in with all the defender turbo and down pipes??? also will the bellhouse be the same???

hi,just done conversion i changed evreything engine, gearbox, and tranferbox, the gear lavers sit further back though slightly into seat box, there's a very good thread in archive, :) defender dinky

Why timing cover? At the moment I`m converting 2.5 petrol to disco 200tdi.

I have the engine mounted and there was no need to change timing cover.

only if you are changing the manifolds over to Def ones as per the reply in my post. other wise the turbo IIRC exits in the rear of the timing cover.

If you are keeping the disco inlet and outlet manifolds then you dont need to change the timing case. it will just clear the PAS box. the fan will need sorting though, cutting down or replacing with electric ones as that will contact the steering box.

only if you are changing the manifolds over to Def ones as per the reply in my post. other wise the turbo IIRC exits in the rear of the timing cover.

If you are keeping the disco inlet and outlet manifolds then you dont need to change the timing case. it will just clear the PAS box. the fan will need sorting though, cutting down or replacing with electric ones as that will contact the steering box.

Mine clears the steering box with no problem. Even the Disco viscous fan is suitably

clear. However, I fitted an electric fan instead. The Disco fan setup seems too far

off centre of rad, and rad cowls don't line up. I did fit new engine mount rubbers

though.

Could somebody help me with alternator connection on my conversion from 2.5 petrol?

I saw it was written on forum before, but I can not find it.

Two thick brown wires are connected together to ...?

And the thin one is for warning lihgt that goes to....?

W is for RPM gauge IIRC?

Thank you

Dejan