V8 to LPG

reb78

Hi All,

Generally over in the Defender forum, but i've been hankering after a nice disco for some time now to replace my BMW as the 'posh' car! I fancy a V8, i've used my mothers TD5 D2 a lot and thats great, but would still like to have a petrol vehicle as i personally feel they are still that little bit more refined.

I've seen a few good V8 D2s recently at very reasonalble prices and low mileages and just wondered how much i would have to budget to out a decent LPG system on one of these. Underslung tanks preferably so i dont loose boot space and ideally dont loose the original petrol capacity either.

Any ideas of a rough cost would be much appreciated.

Cheers

i recently bought an LPG kit from tinley tech, with twin underslung tanks, it came to just over 800 quid for the kit. it then took me, a friend and his dad 2 days to fit the kit. i also had to pay for an inspection by a certified engineer, which cost another 100 quid.

it's saved me about 15p a mile in fuel costs, and i've done 6000 miles since fitting it in september, so its just about paid for itself now. :)

HTH

Ian

Not sure if D2s have a plastic inlet manifold. If they do you'll need a sequential gas injection system, bit more expensive.

Would recommend you give Tinley Tech a call in addition to looking at their web site. Probably the most helpful and knowledgable LPG people I've come across.

Hi, I was thinking about this but was told by a Landrover mechanic that Gas and alloy engines dont wear well. Something to do with the hotter running temp. Is this right?

Max

To be honest i dont think they knew what they were talking about! My 3.5 has been on gas for over a year doing 70miles a day no problem.

Mine doesnt run any hotter on gas, even sitting still in traffic on a blazing hot summers day.

I think people get confused with the fact that LPG burns slower, so without the timing being advanced you would be potentially letting hot gases out through the exhaust valves still burning! That would heat things up i am sure.

LPG+Megajolt = v8 bliss :D

I'd like to EFi mine and go for gas injection on MS. But thats a whole other project for me to think about.

i recently bought an LPG kit from tinley tech, with twin underslung tanks, it came to just over 800 quid for the kit. it then took me, a friend and his dad 2 days to fit the kit. i also had to pay for an inspection by a certified engineer, which cost another 100 quid.

it's saved me about 15p a mile in fuel costs, and i've done 6000 miles since fitting it in september, so its just about paid for itself now. :)

HTH

Ian

It is recomended on D2's not to fit under sill tanks (If that's what you mean) Too many pipes etc and a compressor in the way. I had the petrol tank replaced with two tanks in the same space. and a small petrol tank installed in the rear wing space.

As above you must use sequential gas injection system as a backfire will damage the inlet manifold.

Average cost is £2,500

jiginc

I would recommend LPG on a V8 any day!

I've had mine four years, once it was set up properly, the Disco runs like a charm.

The issue you have to be alert to is that most installers will set the timing to run "OK" on both Petrol and LPG, which actually makes the engine less efficient on both.

If you decide that you will use LPG, do just that and set the timing to be advanced enough so that the ignition is at its most powerful at TDC. On mine (3.9efi) this means setting the timing mark at about 7 degrees BTDC.

I changed the air inlet filter for a metal one, because the "backfires" had caused a problem with the plastic one. However, having fitted an amplifier to the ignition and set the timing properly, I don't get them now anyway.

I spoke the guys at Tinley Tech following a recommendation from this forum and found them to be most helpful. I will be changing from underslung tanks to a replacement for the petrol tank shortly. (They will also get the business when the VW 'Bus gets its new fuel system......

Also, don't carry loads of petrol around with you doing nothing. Keep your petrol tank at the minimum you feel comfortable with. The extra weight just uses up fuel!

There are plenty of LPG stations around now. (At the risk of being an "I-Phone Bore" there is an application you can download for free that will tell you where the nearest one is and give you directions!)

Plus the added bonus of a vehicle that accelerates properly, doesn't smell, isn't noisy and won't take half an hour to heat up in the winter! :D

(The rumbling sound in the background is the massed ranks of diesel fiends coming to disagree with me.................!) :unsure: