gas flowing

Turner engineering in surrey also do gas flowing as i had done on my 200tdi head when i bought an engine from them a while ago-makes a hell of a difference nice and smooth power delivery

Hi Jbs,

I enquired about this a while ago before rebuilding my 200TDi and was told it wasnt worth the money for the performance return (they mentioned negligable difference!).

Its too late now as my lump is rebuilt and ready to be started for the first time this weekend (fingers crossed :P ).

Do you hav any stats for the additional performance (bhp and torque)?

Cheers

G :)

Gas-flowing is also known as porting and polishing.

I did this myself using a flexible shaft (oo-er missus) and grinding stone on my Sierra a couple of years back. It doesn't really make a huge amount of difference to the performance, although it does make it smoother.

It's not a difficult job to do, just very time consuming.

Polishing is the smoothing of inlet/exhaust tracts of the head to allow a smoother passage of air into/out of the engine, as long as you are very careful and don't remove too much material, then nothing can really go wrong. The problems arise when there is only a thin layer of wall between the inlet/exhaust ports, and an oil or waterway.

Porting is when you match the inlet/exhaust ports between the head and the manifolds, to provide a smooth flow of air into/out of the engine.

Manifold gaskets rarely match the ports on the head, this is where port matching comes in. Place the gasket on the head, and locate it with a couple of studs and nuts, then have a look into the inlet ports. you will see where the gasket overlaps the port, creating a restriction. By matching the gasket to the inlet ports, (or vice versa) on both the head and the manifold, removes this restriction allowing the most air to get into the engine.

Hope this makes sense......

Hi Jbs,

I enquired about this a while ago before rebuilding my 200TDi and was told it wasnt worth the money for the performance return (they mentioned negligable difference!).

Its too late now as my lump is rebuilt and ready to be started for the first time this weekend (fingers crossed ).

Do you hav any stats for the additional performance (bhp and torque)?

as i put earlier on it's the smoothness that makes the hell of a difference as with a normal head on there the power delivery was'nt as good as it is now and that is what i meant

Sorry for any confusion

disco_al: "Porting" isnt just limited to the port matching you've described, although that can often be done by a DIYer without too much trouble. Much bigger gains can be had from enlarging the port as it runs down into the valve itself. Every engine is different and every cylinder head design will have different requirements. It takes an experienced operator and a flow bench to work out what will actually improve the flow through a port, and just going mental with a die grinder could easily make things worse!

Because its generally quite specific to each engine, the tuning experts for that particular model will quickly learn what works and what doesn't and will know where to focus on. For example a particular head design might have perfectly good exhaust ports, but a particularly restrictive inlet ports. Dave Walker did an article in PPC this month showing the porting of a Ford Crossflow head, and it was quite interesting reading. He took most of the material away from one side of the port, as that improved the shape and overall size as it flows down onto the back of the valve. He also smoothed the port into the back of the valve seat after opening it up.

The problem with a TDi, is that unlike a petrol where any increases like this would require a remap (or at the very least the engine ECU to "learn" the changes) to ensure the extra fuel is injected to match the extra airflow to stop the engine running lean, a TDi will happily continue injecting the same amount of fuel as before and simply wont make any more power. The engine could quite easily be flowing 10% more air due to the porting, but unless you wind up the fuel pump to add the extra fuel, its money wasted imo.

Not a task that should be tackled at home. Without knowing the specifics about where the waterways are etc you risk weakening the head it not destroying it entirely. Gas flowing a head can lead to great improvements in a cars performance although I have no experience of this on an oil burner.

hi so on average how much does it cost to do the porting.

chris

We were paying £450 for a 16 valve 4 cylinder aluminium head a while back which did include cutting the seats and fitting guides after porting. An eight valve head will entail less work but probably not half as much work