300 TDi Aux Belt Tensioners

disco_al

Another of those common 300tdi problems has reared it's head, the aux belt tensioner has started squeeking like a hyperactive mouse on speed.

Rather than buy a cheapo "Quality aftermarket part" for £25 or an OE quality one at 60 odd quid, is it possible to replace the bearing, in a similar fasion to the bearing in the a/c pulleys?

It sure is... its a bit of a bugger to do tho. Some people cut a slot where the circlip goes in allowing them to get a poking device in between the clip and the casing. This allows the clip to be levered out.

It uses the same bearing as the AC tensioner.

I vageuly remember somebody doing a tech archive post on this... probably uncle Les... have a gander to see what you can find in there.

Dan :)

30 minute job. very easy to do

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=3904

I did mine two years ago but it didn't cure the squeak so I just bought a new Dayco tensioner from Paddocks and it has been fitted for a year with no problems.

I just replaced a squealing tensioner assembly. I put a new bearing in it a few times over the years, but this time it didn't cure the problem. The new Dayco one has more bearing play than the one I took out :unsure:

I suspect the spring part doesn't move smoothly enough to keep even tension anymore. I want to open the old one up at some point and examine it... maybe it's possible to add a grease nipple to improve the movement?

I replaced my bearing with a kit from ebay, worked first time round, second time didn't fix it.

New unit fixed it because, I believe, the springy pivot bit wears more one side than the other so the pulley does not present square to the belt, therefore squealing.

I tried changing the bearing on mine and it didn't stop the squeaking then I bought the tensioner which solved the problem ,when I got the old one off you could see where the pivot had worn on one side causing it to run on the skew it had what looked like plastic poking out of it .

Gary

I want to open the old one up at some point and examine it... maybe it's possible to add a grease nipple to improve the movement?

PING!!!!! Watch your fingers Dave!

Interesting how so many have said their squeek has returned. I reckon I've racked up over 10k miles since changing the bearing on mine. On several occasions the font end of the car has been submerged in nasty gloop. But mine still hasn't developed a squeek that I can hear. Mind you a 300tdi ain't exactly quiet at the best of times and I'm deaf as a post!! :lol:

IIRC the Dayco tensioner is genuine fitment.

i replaced mine too, and the squealing came back in under 200 miles. from memory it is a 6203 bearing i think, but it is sealed both sides. google simply bearings and you can get them there better and cheaper than ebay.

anyway, the fix i found was to fit a washer in 9 o'clock position behind the tensioner and bolt it tight. it stopped the squealing straight away and i have several thousand miles under it and the engine now lives in another disco too.

richard

i replaced mine too, and the squealing came back in under 200 miles. from memory it is a 6203 bearing i think, but it is sealed both sides. google simply bearings and you can get them there better and cheaper than ebay.

anyway, the fix i found was to fit a washer in 9 o'clock position behind the tensioner and bolt it tight. it stopped the squealing straight away and i have several thousand miles under it and the engine now lives in another disco too.

richard

or a penny coin in the right thickness too :)