Heretic coils

andyrover

Hello all Im Andy new poster here.

I am about to buy a series 3 1980 LWB with a 2.8 isuzu td and county 5 speed box an I am considering changing to coil springs has any one tried this?

I guess I will need defender axles and weld on the brackets to the chassis etc. any input will be appreciated. I know it sounds mad but I will get tax exemption and in Ireland that makes it worth doing to a 30 yr old vehicle.

I was considering parabolics and rotators but dont really like the idea.

Converting to coils = major chassis change = not tax exempt any more.

That's how it works for the UK I presume Ireland is similar?

In the UK it would have to be SVA'd and Q plated to be legal on the road. Many people have done it though and do get away with it but the DVLA is supposed to be watching forums like this to work out who is. All in all not the best idea - I'd go for parabolics if you must have something, but the suspension isn't the worst thing on a series - good condition original leaf springs work suprisingly well.

Most Japanese and US 4wd vehicles still use leaf springs. If your leaf springs are in good order and you have appropriate dampers, the ride should be reasonably comfortable.

I can see why people conducting a complete rebuild may chose to fit Range Rover running gear, but fitting coils while using Series engines and transmissions seems un-necessarily difficult for little gain.

For UK vehicles, it would certainly result in the loss of too many VIN poits to retain the original VIN, requiring SVA and VIC tests and re-registration with a Q-plate. Most of these hybrids are using illegal identities, and I'd wager that many of the owners haven't even disclosed the alterations to their insurers, rendering them uninsured. In all honesty, I'm glad the DVLA are clamping down; there are many owners gratuitiosly flouting the rules with ringers, dangerously modified vehicles and invalidated insurance.

For UK vehicles, it would certainly result in the loss of too many VIN poits to retain the original VIN, requiring SVA and VIC tests and re-registration with a Q-plate. Most of these hybrids are using illegal identities, and I'd wager that many of the owners haven't even disclosed the alterations to their insurers, rendering them uninsured. In all honesty, I'm glad the DVLA are clamping down; there are many owners gratuitiosly flouting the rules with ringers, dangerously modified vehicles and invalidated insurance.

Hear hear. I regularly see a 90 in gulf war markings that i think lives at the houses at Draycote water near Rugby as i have seen it leaving there a few times now at approx 8am and its on a S2a D plate which by using the DVLA vehicle check comes out as declared manufactured 1966. There is also what appears to be a 110 rather than a coiled 109 in Bilton that is also running a S2a identity. They are both using black and alloy plates.

Hello all Im Andy new poster here.

I am about to buy a series 3 1980 LWB with a 2.8 isuzu td and county 5 speed box an I am considering changing to coil springs has any one tried this?

I guess I will need defender axles and weld on the brackets to the chassis etc. any input will be appreciated. I know it sounds mad but I will get tax exemption and in Ireland that makes it worth doing to a 30 yr old vehicle.

I was considering parabolics and rotators but dont really like the idea.

Ignoring the legalities as I don't know your laws or area in Ireland.

I spoke to Designa Chassis about converting a standard Series1 chassis to coils a while ago and some issues came up.

1. Strenght, Designa add 1 or 2 inches to the height of the new chassis legs to add strenght. They used CAD to test but someone here contested the need for the additional height when I mentioned it before?

2. You may need a cross member to add the A frame if you use it. This will need to be above the chassis.

3. You need to keep the correct vertical seperation of the A frame and rear links or the top and bottom links if using a 4 link system.

This is all the information that I got as it (plus SVA) stopped me from continuing.

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum so hopefully someone will come along soon.

Good luck.

Marc.

Thanks for all that feedback lads I think its should remain a leafy after all but perhaps some parabolics wouldn't go a miss didnt realise the dvla issues would create a problem with this thanks again

Good Man!

I drive both a leafed series, and a coiled 110 and coilded disco. The character of each is one of the reasons why I have three. Why go to the hassle and expense of conversion, when if the leafs are good (parabolics are great) there shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Also, when it comes to insurance, if it's been modded, some companies lod or won't touch them.

Far easier to leave alone if it ain't broke!

I love that picture FF....where do I get a copy!!

Hear hear. I regularly see a 90 in gulf war markings that i think lives at the houses at Draycote water near Rugby as i have seen it leaving there a few times now at approx 8am and its on a S2a D plate which by using the DVLA vehicle check comes out as declared manufactured 1966. There is also what appears to be a 110 rather than a coiled 109 in Bilton that is also running a S2a identity. They are both using black and alloy plates.

hmm...have to keep an eye out for that 110 then...theres one near Braunston which is running on a 2 plate...and the only thing 2 about it is the plate....really gets on my nerves - i pay my tax (well on the 88 anyway)!