mud console

Just trying to steer this back on topic one thing that can make the Raptor console look a lot less 'utilitarian' is to coat the main metal frame of the unit in some suitable adhesive backed vinyl with a LR like pattern. Even better is to fine some of the slightly foam backed stuff. I plan on doing this to mine to make it blend in a little better with the rest of the dash.

It's fair to say that the MUD and Iron Goat dashs do look a lot more 'stock'. No questions about that. All 3 are good for what they do and all 3 hit just 'slightly' different niches.

djwillis -totally agree. I've got a raptor dash in mine and it suits the feel of my 90 much more then any of the others. However i would agree that in some it just wont look right.

a descent signwriter will be able to wrap the sides of a raptor in a textured vinyl.

each to their own and just my 2p.

one thing that can make the Raptor console look a lot less 'utilitarian' is to coat the main metal frame of the unit in some suitable adhesive backed vinyl with a LR like pattern..

This is pretty much what I have done when I made my own console.

I looked at the MUD version, and wasn't sure about its strength. My version looks very similar, being styled a la Td5, but is made from steel and mdf and is covered in black grained leatherette style vinyl from Woolies Trim. It is about as close a match to the LR dash as I would expect to get.

Having since looked at the Raptor offering, I agree it looks very robust and provides flexible configuration, but it just doesn't appeal to my eye :(

Will post a picture of mine tonight.

This is pretty much what I have done when I made my own console.

I looked at the MUD version, and wasn't sure about its strength. My version looks very similar, being styled a la Td5, but is made from steel and mdf and is covered in black grained leatherette style vinyl from Woolies Trim. It is about as close a match to the LR dash as I would expect to get.

Having since looked at the Raptor offering, I agree it looks very robust and provides flexible configuration, but it just doesn't appeal to my eye :(

Will post a picture of mine tonight.

mickeyw,

Thanks for the tip on the Wollies Trim stuff, that looks ideal (better than what I had laying about).

I'll grab some and get my Raptor unit covered and report back on how it turns out. I assume you just bonded it on with normal spray contact adhesive?

Some pics of your homebrew console would be great.

EDIT: Was it the normal grain or heavy grain vinyl you used?

Edited by djwillis

I've tidied this thread up as some of the comments were too personal.

What one individual likes will sometimes not be to everyone's taste. That's fine but we need to express our views in such a way that they do not cause offence.

Remember - opinions are like belly buttons* - everyone has one.

*Clean version ;)

Hi,

After careful consideration, I went with a Raptor Engineering one. Its very robust, and even has supporting braces for the CB Radio. Bolts into the centre (after a little cutting away).

Seemed to be more resilient to the kind of abuse off-roading will give it, and the fact they can pre-cut and coat the thing is great.

I've not fitted it yet, but have attached a picture of it. Raptor also so some inexpensive cheap LED switches too

Mark

post-19019-126528008664_thumb.jpg

Some pictures as promised.

post-7124-126528143269_thumb.jpgpost-7124-126528143437_thumb.jpgpost-7124-126528143703_thumb.jpg

post-7124-126528143898_thumb.jpgpost-7124-126528144084_thumb.jpgpost-7124-126528144253_thumb.jpg

As can be seen, the main structure was 1mm steel panels welded together. Then 6mm MDF was stuck to the front faces and all the gaps smoothed with filler to provide the recessed look for the switches and dials. Trim material was stuck in place with everyday Evostick impact adhesive. Trim material I used was the standard texture from Woolies.

My original purpose behind this build was to relocate the radio and provide space for a fold-away 7" screen for the car pc I had built. As with all things, the plan changed :rolleyes: and I decided against the screen and pc.

Despite that, this dash houses my electric window switches, the winch control and isolator, as well as the LPG switch/guage. There is still rooom left for another 52mm gauge and more switches when the need arises.

The whole assembly fixes to the dash in a similar way to the MUD version.

Hopefully this will provide a little imspiration for others.