Hard Top sides V Windows

M005

Looking for +ves & -ves.

I've had a HT before, no real issues, sometimes wished I had more visability at junctions, but the trade off was increased security for the rear.

90 I am buying currently has windows in the back which I've said to leave in for now, as it seems a lot lighter in there, however I'm wandering about security.

Any issues with windows getting broken when offroading?

They seem to be leaking at present, and probably rattle, so they'll be getting sealed up anyway.

Looking for +ves & -ves.

I've had a HT before, no real issues, sometimes wished I had more visability at junctions, but the trade off was increased security for the rear.

90 I am buying currently has windows in the back which I've said to leave in for now, as it seems a lot lighter in there, however I'm wandering about security.

Any issues with windows getting broken when offroading?

They seem to be leaking at present, and probably rattle, so they'll be getting sealed up anyway.

I would say it depends on what sort of off-roading you are doing.

I have a 90 van with no windows, which was a blessing! With the trialling and greenlaning I have done, I have managed to square off the passenger side roof at the rear. I've seen a fair few alpine and side windows getting popped too.

As storage is not important to me, I am now having the 90 truck cabbed.

M005 you could always go down the route of either getting mesh grills for the windows on either the inside or outside-what ever is best for you on that or go back and get a H/T and have triangular windows cut in the side right behind the driver and passenger of the H/T as I've seen on a few 90's now

HTH

John

however I'm wandering about security.

:hysterical:

It's a land rover.

Does it have the little windows either side of the rear door? They are more of a worry.

From a security perspective the side windows will make little difference, unless you sort out the other windows and doors.

If you're worried about breaking them, than that's different matter. How "extreme" are you planning on going? I have generally found alpine lights to be more vulnerable than side windows.

I had windows in previous 90, now have hard top (with none) would never go back to windows, visibilty is all down to how you approach a junction you soon get the hang of this.

As for window rattle, I found a spent 12 bore cartridge squashed at the plastic end stops the rattles.

As for leaks? Hey it is a land-rover they all leak...............don't they?

Does it have the little windows either side of the rear door? They are more of a worry.

Last year at Billing, I tried looking for grilles for the two little side windows, but could only find the interior fitted ones, which I cant use as I have a speaker housing thing that mounts where the grilles attach.

As security of these windows was a concern for me, I came up with a neat little trick....

... I paid a visit to the graphics place up the road from me, and got a plain sheet of the thick weather-proof vinyl they use & simply cut & fitted it over the windows, and tucked the excess material under the window rubbers.

As my vehicle is black, the vinyl was an easy colour to match, and it now looks as though I dont have any windows at all. It is even harder to see that there are windows there when the vehicle is dirty, which is 100% of the time.smile.gif

It probably does not do a great deal, other than make it a bit harder to smash those windows, but for the sake of a few £££'s, it is a "mod" that was very easy to do, and at worst wont do any harm. The fact that I have a ladder partially obscuring the window on the left helps too.

When I get a few minute's I intend to get rid of my small windows either side of the rear door as I don't use them anyway and I have to agree they are a bit of a security risk,i shall be cutting and shaping some aluminium as soon as i can and replacing the window panel's with that

:hysterical:

It's a land rover.

Point taken, but the Chippenham scrotes can probably compute that a sliding window might slide if they try, whereas they probably can't figure out that the rear windows just push out, on the odd days I use it for work and it's parked on the road.

I've decided to go for van sides now anyway, I can always put blind spot windows in if I want, but I did ~30k miles in the last one OK, and this one will barely do ~3k per year.

I had a hard top with windows all round, and then busted one when I put the 90 on it's side:

post-10578-126470136341_thumb.jpg

Smashed the side window but amazingly the alpine light survived, despite the metal around it being rather bent about.

I have a truck cab now, but if I went for another hard top I would go windowless for an off-roader, just because there is less to get damaged. For a primarily on-road Defender, I think I'd prefer to have windows in there. The visibility was great with them...although not as good as the truck cab now :P