Over-landy project

HoSS

I've been pondering for some time turning my 110 CSW into an overland thing.

always the stumbling block was a) not wanting to pay someone 10k to convert it for me, or b) 5k for a kit, and at the same time having a solution that is practical & looks good.

But twas not until recently that that i saw pictures of the 'park ranger' conversions from the '60's

Park Ranger

This solution uses the existing roof, and is beautifully elegant in concept.

I've no doubt it will take considerable man hours to complete, but i think in going for it.

I still need to find a workshop that i can occupy for the duration, and start the designs. But i just wanted to post something to kick this off.

I'm open to any design suggestions, advice, pictures of cool overland features etc.

One immediate question that springs to mind - does anyone know a company that could fabricate (sew?) the custom tent roof part to supplied drawings?

Hoss

Hmm, I sort of like that. I imagine it was sort of like a pre-cursor to a Dormobile conversion?

Roof tents are very, very good nowadays, and as I use one myself, cant sing their praises enough. I think RTT & a custom designed load space are the way forward.

When I say "custom designed" loadspace, I certainly dont mean paying someone silly money to put something together for you! I will be putting my design together for a couple of hundred quid tops. A few 1" square tubes welded together in the corners & then covered with 1mm ali sheet. As I live just down the road from Patriot roof racks, I can get the materials supplied & cut for a very good price - then a nice weekend spent bolting & riveting!!

yeah, i'm sure a RT/ Rack would be less hassle, but i just didnt want to go down that route.

several reasons:

- I think its nice to be able to drop out of the bunk into the living space & stick the kettle on.

- My indoor parking is 2.10m, the landy just scrapes inside with a bare roof

- If you have a RT on a rack, then (i presume) you cant carry anything on the rack, which seems to defeat the point

- I plan to fit an eberspacher for heating, RT would not get that benefit

I like this solution, sure its a lot of work, but its elegant.

I like the way the bunk space ends up being wider than the body.

but please keep the comments coming, It will either cement my commitment, or find fatal flaws ;)

Looks cool to me. The only disadvantage I can see is that you lose the capability to have a roof rack and/or roll cage over the section of the roof that raises. With a roof tent you can still use the other half of your roof rack as the tent usually only covers half of the rack. But you have a proper kitchen/diner with a roof that raises and this is preferable for some situations. Swings and roundabouts. Sorry if I'm stating the bleeding obvious.

If you dont have space to fit the vehicle in your garage, then theres nothing you can do about that part.

Coming down from the RTT is hardly a chore.....its not like you have to walk a mile to be able to get a brew on! I have an Eezi Awn tent (1.4m) so it has an attached "porch" that hangs off the back & covers the rear door. I simply wake up, climb down the ladder & i'm in my kitchen. The cooker lives on the back door (which is kept open whilst im asleep) so I can pop the kettle on in seconds.

My tent is mounted on a 90 (dont know what i was thinking there!) so the tent sits flush with the back of the vehicle & runs to being in line with the bulkhead, and is exactly as wide as a Defender. I have the space from the bulkhead to the front of the windscreen available.

I always have a twin jerry can holder with empty cans up there and a lockable aluminium box that holds the folded up tent porch, ladder bottom & pegs. I still have space for gas bottles, Hi-Lift jacks & collecting branches for fire wood etc.

I personally dont think that an Eberspacher NEEDS to be able to heat the tent. The tents really are very cosy nowadays, and that coupled with a decent sleeping bag will provide a great nights sleep.

When its mild to warm, i use an army bag left unzipped like a blanket. If its really cold, i use my old mountaineering bag rated to -26ºC. If its very hot, I have the ability to unzip all four "walls" and just leave the mosquito nets in place, which is very nice as you get a lovely breeze. I have never had a night in that RTT that wasnt very pleasant.

... I like this solution, sure its a lot of work, but its elegant.

I like the way the bunk space ends up being wider than the body.

but please keep the comments coming, It will either cement my commitment, or find fatal flaws ;)

Ok, now it's clear which version of the Land Ranger you are aiming to emulate (side hinged folding roof, not the pop-top) I'll throw in a couple of points.

Consider where the rain water from the outside of the roof is to go when you fold the roof down. Particularly the water from the flexible roof. You want to try and keep it outside the living accommodation.

Try to ensure you can do a minimal set-up, and subsequent close down, from inside the vehicle. This means some sort of access from the drivers seat to the rear interior, and no external locks to secure or release the assembly.

There seems little benefit in arriving on site warm and dry, then walking round getting cold and wet, then bringing the wet back inside with you, just because you have arrived at your destination while it's raining.

Look at the detail of how TeriAnn has arranged the interior, and why. The same considerations may apply to you. Put them aside if you can positively say they don't apply. Don't just 'not think of them'.

I understand TeriAnn is planning to visit the UK in 2010, shipping her vehicle over for an extended tour. It might be worth keeping yourself aware of the situation so you can make use of any meeting opportunities that might arise.

Whatever your internal arrangements, try to ensure the absolute basics are available while the roof is down. It doesn't seem sensible to have to put the roof up just to get a hot drink, a bacon sandwich, and to clear away afterwards.

HTH

if you can live with the little extra roof height a another option , I may be doing on one of the landrovers is fitting a rooftent, with either boxed sides from roofrack, or which I more perfer, sit the tent directly on the roof fitted with added reinforcement and maybe another plyboard all sealed to the roof , but with a hatch, to go from tent down inside the Landrover without going outside, quite easy to do , and if done right noone would be any wiser until they went inside, just another option

Brian