Troublesome door handles

katluke

I have a 95 3dr which has a problem with all 3 door handles.The 2 front doors, to open them I have to pull them numerous times before they eventually open.The rear door will only open with the key now as I think the central locking is not pushing the lever up on the inside of the mechanism far enough.Any ideas how to remedy these problems and also any parts i may require ? Thanks for any replys.

Have you tried lubrcating the locks, are the door pins rising fully or are they droping back slightly when you unlock.

The CL actuators can be ajusted on their mounts but you will have to remove the door card to do that.

I haven't a clue on parts you require, if any as we don't know what's wrong.

i have a similar problem with the passenger door,after taking the door card off there is a nylon plunger/rod on the rear of the door handle which pushes against a piece of metal i found that this piece of nylon rod is bending and not pushing the metal enough im going to look this weekend with a view to make a metal sleeve to go over this,chris.

Not necessarily the springs, but these are a common complaint.... Just fixed my locks - the linkages aare adjustable, 7mm nut for the inner door handle, but right by the lock itself, so you'll probably have to strip the door to get to it. The outer handle can be adjusted without taking it all apart.

One word of advice when replacing the springs...........note very carefully the way the linkages are put together and what goes where. Looks very easy when you start but a completely different story when rebuilding. Might i suggest digital photos to start with

I have just replaced the lock spring in my Disco1 passenger door lock.Fairly straight forward,just note which connecting rods go where ie lock tab attaches to the outside lever.The mirror does not have to come off,but the wiring plug needs to disconnected and fed down the window frame,it seems to have an outer collar that comes off.When reassembling the frame[mine had a couple of torx 40 screws]leave loose to align it,before tightening.Bought the springs off disco compatible on ebay,they are right and left handed.They look easy enough to make if you can find a similar diameter spring to cut up.You may even find that part MTC9505 from www.lrseries.com will do the job.

post-5195-126545880002_thumb.jpg

post-5195-126545883094_thumb.jpg

post-5195-126545887568_thumb.jpg

post-5195-126545891374_thumb.jpg

post-5195-126545894997_thumb.jpg

On re-reading the post I was unsue if you meant they did not unlock or physically open the door. If the problem is with the handles and not the locks ie you have to pull the handle away from the door a long way before it opens then you can take off the door card and put a bend in the rod which operates the catch. Careful when you do this as if you make the operating rod too short the door can open with vibration, don't ask me how I know this!

Andy