Dead Diesel 2286cc

Jason2

Just bought a shed of a 2 1/4 1978 109SW, cheap to do up.

Ex owner's had it for 20 years, reckons after an engine rebuild (dropped a injector round chamber thingy, and was then treated to new rings & bores honed,new 2.5 cylinder head) he got within a mile of his house on initial test drive and it conked out took the sump off and there was a coolant leak from a hole/crack in one of the bores

Any thoughts, in my experience this lump is fairly solid and can't see a bore leaking like that!!I've not tried getting it going yet as the sump is still off and half of the cylinder head is in the back.

Cheers

Not so sure it will, compression chambers are in the pistons ?

What about waterjacket alignment between 2 1/4 block and 2.5 head? and which gasket was used?

Have you tried a compression test? I think I'd pulll the head off anyhow to see for sure ^^

hth

Steveb

2nd thoughts there is a combustion chamber in the head ;) my mistake

They are called hotspots if I remember correctly, but deffinatly not a thingy. :lol:

These can sumtimes brake up but cant drop out as they are only half in the cylinder area the rest is pinched under the head.

The bits from this could/maybe hole a liner, but I would have thort he would have spotted that when rebuilding it.

indirct injection head has Ricardo combustion chambers to induce swirl to the injected fuel to achieve a better mixture and hotter flame

direct injection engines have a swirl cavity moulded into the piston head, usually shaped like a pointed cone with two ellipitical depressions either side, the injected fuel is directed at the cone ans swirled around again for better mixture and hotter flame.

indirect injection engines are usually quite clattery on cold start up due to excess fueling to promote cold starting

Thanks for your replies!

Hokey dokey so we have got "thingy's" out of the way, what are the chances of a bore leaking coolant and is it worth spending any time on this engine???

I suppose the easiest thing to do is put the sump/tappets back on,fill her up with oil and water and try and crank her over eh? and see what happens!

I was about to say, I have a 2.25 D engine you can have for a nominal fee for spares/to fit but then noticed your location.

Thanks for the thought! Not impossible! it looks like I'm going to have to get another engine and the chances of getting one out here in France are slim.

Is it a runner? complete? How much do you want for it? I've had gearbox's shipped out many a time.

Cheers

Jason

i wouldnt spend any money on it, you should be able to pick up another engine for less than it'll cost to fix any problems with that one.

That's what I was thinking, can't even try it as the pushrods are missing!

Filled her up with coolant just to have a look, dripping like mad from rear cylinder bore, was hoping it was going to be a wrong gasket problem so I whipped the head off, not good half the bolts down the right hand side of the head were'nt tight!! Head looks good though.Further investigation releaves that water is leaking from at least 2 spots about 2 cm up from the bottom of the bore!!

Worth bothering with, how easy to get a liner and more to the point how easy to change??????????

Cheers Jason

Hi Jason

The 2 1/4 is bored out of the block - no liners :( that sounds like a cracked block so time to look for another engine i reckon

cheers

Steveb

Thanks steveb,thought as much! anyone got a GOOD 2 1/4 or 2.5 n.a diesel for sale and if the price is right and they bring it out to france I will let them have a free weeks accommdation in our 18th century watermill Holiday Gite in the heart of the Poitou charentes region of france! Also looking for a cheap Defender 110csw 200tdi ou 300tdi same offer applys! www.moulin-lacombe.com

Cheers

Jason

A bit of a thread hijack which I appologise for but how easy is it to swop and change engines in France from a legal/red tape point of view?, I was of the understanding it was pretty much impossible to do and you had to 'keep' the original engine going?

Only asking as Im looking to export my UK 110 to France next year.

A bit of a thread hijack which I appologise for but how easy is it to swop and change engines in France from a legal/red tape point of view?, I was of the understanding it was pretty much impossible to do and you had to 'keep' the original engine going?

Only asking as Im looking to export my UK 110 to France next year.

It is a nightmare, but can be done!The problem being that if you want to register a vehicle here you have to get a "certificate de conformite" from Land Rover France,problem being if you have a 1988 V8 with a 300tdi engine in it it's not conform so they can't give you a certificate!! There are long drawn out ways around it but the best bet is if it's a vehicle over 30 years old you can register it as a "voiture de colection" and they don't give a ****e what engines in it as long as all the paper work is in order!! and a bonus is that you have a m.o.t every 5 years as appose to every 2 years or 1 year for the polution test if it's a hard top (commercial vehicle).

Please don't hesitate if you need more information :)

Jason

Thanks Jason, I know about the COC, I need to write to LR France and check mine out before progressing further but seeing as its still standard with its 2.5NA it should hopefully be okay. What scope is there for chnaging once your car is registered in France-is it then possible like we do in the Uk to just chuck a Disco engine in whenever something goes wrong?

Thanks Jason, I know about the COC, I need to write to LR France and check mine out before progressing further but seeing as its still standard with its 2.5NA it should hopefully be okay. What scope is there for chnaging once your car is registered in France-is it then possible like we do in the Uk to just chuck a Disco engine in whenever something goes wrong?

Land Rover France are very helpfull over the phone, problem is that as soon as you send them a letter they want 180 euros for the C.O.C regardless of whether you get it or not!Otherwise you can go through the D.R.I.R.E who are an organisation to enable people from each Departement to register vehicles but their rules seem to change from departement to departement. My advice is if your French is not up to scratch and you want a 300tdi for example ,buy one as you have the choice and best position in the U.K and will probably save you loads of problems later.On a French log book "Carte a gris" they dont even mention the engine N° or size cc but the problem arises if you have an accident!!

Good luck

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the thought! Not impossible! it looks like I'm going to have to get another engine and the chances of getting one out here in France are slim.

Is it a runner? complete? How much do you want for it? I've had gearbox's shipped out many a time.

Cheers

Jason

Sorry this took so long to reply, basically the engine was in my Series 3, it drove about 20 miles under my ownership before being removed. (IanS actually drove it while I followed) It smoked a little but didn't seem to be making any untowards noises, pulled well and started good from cold.

It's a 2.25 late 5 bearing engine, it still has the alternator/starter/flywheel/manifolds fitted at the moment.

Having been sat outside for a little over a year I cannot attest to the condition of the engine inside but it's yours for a donation to this forum. (assuming it's still relevant and you cover all shipping costs).

Drop me a PM if you're interested :)