Good Tyres for Mild Off Roading?

Gordonmacg

I have a 2004 TD5 ES manual which was bought from new, it is now no longer used as a family car so i intend to off road it a little. As the tyres are needing replaced i want to change them from the original Good Year 255 55 18 Wranglers to something more suited to mud/off road. The only ones i can find however are AT2's. So two questions...are these any good or is there something else i should be looking at?

Thanks for your time

G

I brought a set of AT2s and i am finding them to be a great all rounder, they were great in the snow, they cope well in the mud (well most of the time :lol: )

I also do quite a bit on the motorways, and dont find them to be too much trouble with any road noise.

All in all, they do what it says on the tin!

well happy with mine ;)

Ian

I have a 2004 TD5 ES manual which was bought from new, it is now no longer used as a family car so i intend to off road it a little. As the tyres are needing replaced i want to change them from the original Good Year 255 55 18 Wranglers to something more suited to mud/off road. The only ones i can find however are AT2's. So two questions...are these any good or is there something else i should be looking at?

Thanks for your time

G

I have goodyear duratreks. They are a relatively new tyre. They are an aggressive all terrain. I find that they tackle most situations well.

Another tyre to look at is the Kumho KL71, its a mud terrain tyre but with impeccable road manners. I just bought a set for my Navara and so far Im really impressed with them. They wouldnt get as far off road as the Special tracks do on my 90 but it depends on the compromise between on/offroad performance you want.

I have goodyear duratreks. They are a relatively new tyre. They are an aggressive all terrain. I find that they tackle most situations well.

I really like the look of those. A similar sort of pattern to my Insa Turbo Traction Trac's (which are the same as the old BFG Trac Edge). Mine do whine a bit on the road though (although as I have a commercial I think this "echos" the noise more than it would if I had seats and interior trim fitted).

I went for 16" steel wheels and would highly recommend that if you want to do more than the odd bit of off-roading. Far more tyre choices available, option to air down if needed, more comfortable ride, less prone to wheel damage, etc, etc.

I have a spare set of genuine steels I might consider selling - if you are interested drop me a PM.

Gordon

As you live in Fife, it really might be worth your while giving Ostles a call http://www.ostlestyres.co.uk/

I have had my last 2 pairs of tyres from them - the BFG AT's are great, lasted over 80000 miles, just moved over to Grabber AT2's last autumn. Too early to tell if the AT2's will wear as well, but the grip is excellent. I think the AT2's had the upper hand in the snow, but the BFG's were excellent all-rounders.

I bought 8 tyres at once from Ostles last autumn, all on loose rims (winter tyres for our 2nd car, and AT2's fitted after re-painting the Landy wheels). Got an amazing price from Ostles, can't recommend them more - well worth the 30 min drive south from Edinburgh for me.

Also they're really close to town and the shops so wifey came with me and we did the sights of galashiels...

A bit off line size wise but I run my 200TDI Disco on standard size "Cooper ST,s". So far I have no complaints using them on green lanes snow ice and a bit of rocky lanes. Even in standard size run at 28/38 they seem to have a good footprint. Silverline were the best price and promt delivery. :)

Hello i am just wondering where can i get 37 inch tyres and wad i need to do to my disco 1 to make them fit

an wad tyres would ye recomend for 50/50 use

how to make them fit....

buy one plasma cutter or a bucket full of grinding disks. Chop most of the body off.

Then fit some different axles so they dont explode killing all the baby orphans.