Should I even be remotely considering buying this?

A Twig

Ebay Link

Very cheap but looks like it'll require a lot of work to make it a reliable daily vehicle/expedition camper, plus I have no off-road parking to store it at. BUT you get a lot of space for £600.

Guessing it'd need a new bulkhead for starters and some chassis work. Power steering and probably an engine transplant. That's before tidying up any body work and even beginning on the camper conversion!!!

BUT it's under £600 - argh!!!!

The scabby paint can be very deceptive, it's hard to see from the photos what's going on underneath it. The few bits of chassis/bulkhead visible through it looked OK, but there could be horrors hiding elsewhere. Without inspecting it you'd probably have to hedge your bets that it'd end up being a full restoration at some point.

I've been rebuilding a Range rover ambulance as a camper over the last six months. It takes a lot more work than you'd think, and thats even if you start off with something half decent to begin with!

I've been keeping an eye on ambulance prices over the months, and to be honest old ones like that come up frequently - they don't fetch much even in good nick, so I would hold out for one that soneone has already wasted lavished a load of money on and give yourself a headstart.

Newer 110 based ones come up from time to time as well, which are a better shape - a rough one went for about 500 quid on the bay a couple of months ago.

Hmmmm...

I'll keep a looking, might get a battered old van to kip in on my summer travels then look at sorting out a proper LR based camper thing after. Being 6ft4 and having to lug a load of surfboards about means my 90 + rooftent isn't really an option. Grr....

I just want to keep the 4x4 bits (throw logs kit etc in the back and go most places ability) but be able to sleep inside and store my surfboards inside as well! And it'll need to be good enough to be used a couple of times a week to go to the shops, drive to see the parents etc.

I'll basically have to flog my pride and joy 90 to fund it, so I want to buy once and buy right!

They have been trying to sell this for months, it get brought and then relisted so me thinks is very much a Lemon and not a bargin!!

I too have been tempted by the idea of a camper conversion, but with the children etc, I suspect this vehicle would need more money than a nationalised bank to get sorted. The ebay vendor does trade in ex-military vehicles, and it could be a serial relist or a different vehicle.

So, we've resorted to using the 110csw and tents. It's cheaper, more space but down side is setting up.