Winch and bumper advice please

hi guys

im currently looking at buying a winch and winch bumper at the moment and was just wondering on your views on what im planning to get maybe you know a better place to buy from thats cheaper.

the winch and bumper im currrently looking at is from first four:

the bumper is a tubeular winch bumper with a bar and swivel recovery eyes. (air-con so i dont hav to cut my grille)

the winch is a superwinch EPi9

this package together comes to £850

also im going to need a new battery when i get my winch so was wondering if i should go with a yellow top optima battery or an odyssey battery

thanks tom

Winch bumper - first four is a good choice.

Winch - A TDS from David Bowyer is a better bet than an EP9 and I think cheaper.

Battery - why do you think you will need another one? If the existing one is knackered, OK, but unless you are intending on competing I would sugest one battery will be fine.

I would recommend the biggest battery you can get from tyou motor factors. If you want two batteries then get the two biggest you can fit in the battery box. It is better to have a pair otherwise mismatched batteries can drain each other (ask a grown up how, it confuddles me!)

Have you actually spoken to anyone at First Four yet?

I would highly recommend their products, and when I was in the market for my winch I gave them a call first out of the several people I had on my list to question. They were so good, and so helpful that I just did not bother calling anyone else.

Give them a ring & tell them exactly what you want a winch for, and they will recommend all the options available to you within whatever budget you say you have.

Absolutely first class service!

As above, by all means buy the bumper from first four as they are well made and at a good price, but don't buy the EP9 though. TDS 9.5's are much better winch all round for same or less money. As an example I replaced my EP9 for a TDS.

What do you intend buying your winch for? If it's general recoveries or even the odd winch challenge, personally I wouldn't waste my money on an Optima or Odyssey. Both very good batteries but for general winching not worth the extra ££'s imho. By the way, a yellow optima is not suitable for winching.

I fitted two 096 Heavy Duty Batteries (~£100) in parallel when I fitted the winch and bumper on my latest 90 over four years ago and not a single issue.

Steve

hi guys

also im going to need a new battery when i get my winch so was wondering if i should go with a yellow top optima battery or an odyssey battery

thanks tom

measure the dimensions of your battery box and then go to your local unipart centre or large motorfactors with a tape measure in hand and just get the biggest physical battery that will go in your battery box.

I think mine is from a small truck, cant remember exactly what model battery it is now though. I had to drill some new holes for the securing rods - but other than that it fitted (just) with enough room above the terminals etc.

CCA and Amp/Hrs were all hugely higher than the standard landrover battery fitted and makes spinning the engine up on a cold morning a cinch. Used to have a working winch on the front and it didnt have any problems powering it, even with the engine off.

I again, highly recommend First Four! Peter is a top chap!

I have one of his non-tubular air-con bumpers and it's fantastic. I only have a Champion C12000EWX winch as I don't use it regularly and it's only there as a backup for when I organise greenlaning trips and I need to initiate a recovery in an emergency situation - although in saying that it did fantastic duty up in North Wales!

As far as batteries go, check out 'Alpha Batteries' or 'The Battery Man' on eBay etc... I bought two of their own brand 110ah 650cca batteries 2 years ago for £120 inc postage and they are fantastic. You can easily fit 2 in the battery box (I found the height a main problem), the guy was very helpful, and they come with a 4 year warranty! The 2nd battery can run a £40 coolbox at 4amp for 2 days before dropping below 11.5v and they power my winch with no problem!

Another vote for David Bowyer from me. Purchased a TDS winch from him and I had a small issue of it "grumbling" and being stiff on freespool a year after, and he sorted it very quickly and without any charges for work or carriage. He was very good at advising what winch would suit my needs also. Oh, and go for synthetic rope if you can stretch to it as its much easier to handle and less weight to carry round too!

You don't really need a 2nd battery for a winch - well unless you plan on using it for some serious stuff.

All it means is that it will drain your 1 battery quicker than it would the 2... and it will take longer for the alternator to recharge it.

For the winching I've done, I would have easily coped on one battery.

The only problem you might have is if you stall the vehicle whilst winching - then you might have trouble re-starting.