Defender TD5 Master Cylinder piping?

Boothy

Just a quick one, I'm in the process of trying to sort out poor efficiency on my hybrid challenge truck brakes,

Question is on the defender master cylinder the front calipers are tanden piped from the port at the servo end of the master cylinder,

The 2007 Defender Td5 has a pair of ports on the front end of the cylinder and only a single one towards the servo end, so is opposite.

Does anybody know which is front and rear on the Td5 one, i.e. servo end or front end

Servo is the same size but the master cylinder is much shorter and stubbier on the td5, I have no balance valve's on my challenge only motor, it is totally aero-quipped and the front calipers are the single piped 110 ones with new pistons and seals, the rear are RR classic ones, again with new pistons and seals,

Should really make your eyeballs hurt when you stop, but they have always been poor, so it's now a new servo and master cylinder so hopefully that should cure it.

Thanks in advance guys, you're the best

Chris smile.gif

The two ports at the front (away from the servo) are for the front wheels - one port for each. The rear (near the servo) port is connected to the rear wheels via the normal T piece on the axle.

On a 90 they normally have a shuttle valve between one of the front ports and the rear port but on the 110/130 they don't use a shuttle valve. I assume that's because a 110/130 needs more braking force at the rear.

Hey up

I'm just in the process of trying to improve my poor braking effiency in my Challenge motor, and have just obtained a 2007 Td5 servo and master cylinder,

Question is, on the original defender one the front brakes were both fed of the servo end of the master cylinder by a pair of independant lines and the rear calipers from the front of it to a t-piece on the rear axle. No bias or load valve fitted anywhere, its purely off road only.

So, which is which front to the front, or rear to the front ???

On the new Td5 the twin pipe outlet is a the front end of the cylinder and a single feed at the servo end (the opposite way around), the Td5 master cylinder is much shorter and stubbier than the defender one, and cheaper built by the looks.

I have renewed all the discs and pads on several occastions, tried 2 brand new master cylinders, renewed all the pistons and seals on the front and rear calipers, the fronts are the 110 single piped monster ones, the rears being standard single piston and pipe Range Rover classic calipers.

The vehicle is aero-quipped front to rear and in theory should hurt your eyeballs when I brake but doesn't, so it's servo and master cylinder together this time, and yes the vacuum pipe and valve are good.

Thanks in advance for your advice, you're the best.

Chris smile.gif

Dave,

Thanks for the reply, I helps a mile

confused me a bit this one because I could have sworn I posted it but then I lost it, looked in my posts and it wasn't there, so I re-did it after my Lamb dinner and low and behold in appeared in here just after I put in back in International an hour later.

Definitely getting older huh.gif