v8 geninue rev counters..

hi all,

i recently managed to get via ebay a genuine 12v battery gauge and an oil temp gauge for my 90 so to finish off i want a genuine v8 rev counter gauge for my v8.

my question is why is the upto 1998 gauge so much more to buy then the after 1998 ones...?

what is the difference? My 90 is E reg so i would need the more expensive one (trust my luck) is there any way round having to use the upto 1998 one and pocket the difference

Example links are here taken from devon (for ease)

upto 1998

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p13776c280/0/rev-counter-for-defender-vehicles.html

after 1998

http://www.devon4x4.com/products_a/p1915c280/0/tachometer-for-tdi-/-v8-1998.html

based on devon's prices there is approx £100 difference.

Please note that i'm not saying devon are expensive as i know the prices are about the same with different suppliers just using there site as an example...

thanks

Rick

I can fully understand both comments however I'm one of those people that want everything to match and cos everything else is genuine I would like them all to match.

I'm hoping to find a used one or find a way of using the cheaper genuine one

hi guys,

thanks for the comments. will go hunting.

The cheaper one of the 2 genuine gauges you have listed uses a 'W terminal' supply from the alternator, so provided the gauge rev range is suitable for your engine its the way to go if you want all your gauges to match.

I have one (only just fitted it recently!) and it looks great and matches perfectly with the retro fitted TD5 instruments, tho i bought it when it was a little cheaper - they seem to have lept up in price recently!

Same face as mine but not on the same part number.

photo of mine in this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=45160

Is the rear of yours the same too western, wonder if yours might be a cheaper genuine option for others?

The rear of my gauge is shown here: Linky linky

Is yours this one - AMR5724

EDIT:

Saying that, all of the tachometers gauge are expensive now! :o

Yes, exactly the same as the first one you've linked too, also has 3 small slider switches to set it up on the back too.

Ah yes, DIP switches. They're hidden in a little rectangular hole just to the left of the gauge illumination bulb, as you look at the rear of the gauge.

Will need to set mine up..........when i finally get an engine!

Ah yes, DIP switches. They're hidden in a little rectangular hole just to the left of the gauge illumination bulb, as you look at the rear of the gauge.

Will need to set mine up..........when i finally get an engine!

Set mine to 1 & 3 up & 2 down IIRC, that should set it for 4000rpm Max & idle around 750 to 800rpm

Hi guys, so in theory if my v8's alternator's got a w terminal can I use the cheaper version?

Thanks

rick

Yep, provided the rev range is suitable for your engine and your alternator has a W terminal you can use the cheaper one (tho' they ain't that cheap! :( ).

Yep, provided the rev range is suitable for your engine and your alternator has a W terminal you can use the cheaper one (tho' they ain't that cheap! :( ).

thanks. I'll gave a look at my alternator this week. I would hope that the3 rev range is suitable as my engine is standard and the gauges are described as being for a v8.