Diff ratio's Questions.

I'm trying to work out what diff ratio's my 90 has, its far from Standard having a Salisbury rear axle and an early type (narrow radius arm) front axle.

Do Salisbury diffs have a different ratio to standard 90 rover diffs? what are the range of Diff ratio's that are on offer for the defender axle?

Also where/how do I find out what ratio my diffs are?? is it stamped somwhere?

Cheers

Mav

To find out the ratio just count how many turns of the prop (input shaft) it takes for the wheel (output shaft) to do a complete revolution. That's your ratio ;)

Edit: Think you'll also need to divide that by 2

I'm trying to work out what diff ratio's my 90 has, its far from Standard having a Salisbury rear axle and an early type (narrow radius arm) front axle.

Do Salisbury diffs have a different ratio to standard 90 rover diffs? what are the range of Diff ratio's that are on offer for the defender axle?

Also where/how do I find out what ratio my diffs are?? is it stamped somwhere?

Cheers

Mav

All the permanent 4 WD LR's from the introduction of the original RangeRover [but not Freelander] use the same axle diff ratio of 3.54:1.

All the permanent 4 WD LR's from the introduction of the original RangeRover [but not Freelander] use the same axle diff ratio of 3.54:1.

Silly question I know but I'll ask it anyway: so for every 3.54 rotations of the diff input shaft you get 1 revolutions of the output shafts (i.e. both output shafts turning the same speed with no slip)?

So according to the above statment, having a Salisbury rear axle shouldn't be any trouble being driven with a normal Rover axle on the front.

Is there another reason why more than one person has said to me don't put a 110 Salisbury rear axle on a 90?

Cheers.

Ye, remember 110's have a normal rover front axle anyway!

I'm fitting a salisbury to my 90, the only thing you need to sort is a shorter propshaft, cant see any other reasons why not.

Thats what I always thought... I asked the questions as I found my transfer/gear box was getting pretty darn hot (before I took it all apsrt that was) I did wonder if it was a diff ratio problem but now I've sorted that I will put it down to the problem being the rear prop was originally to long also the one of the UJ's on the front had totally siezed.

Have u decided on what prop you're going to use on it yet? also have u got a disc Salisbury or drum? After a previous thread I've decided to go with a 300tdi front prop (for the rear), I'm just trying to source one of adequate qulaity/price.

Thats what I always thought... I asked the questions as I found my transfer/gear box was getting pretty darn hot (before I took it all apsrt that was) I did wonder if it was a diff ratio problem but now I've sorted that I will put it down to the problem being the rear prop was originally to long also the one of the UJ's on the front had totally siezed.

Have u decided on what prop you're going to use on it yet? also have u got a disc Salisbury or drum? After a previous thread I've decided to go with a 300tdi front prop (for the rear), I'm just trying to source one of adequate qulaity/price.

I'll be using a na/td/200tdi front prop on the rear, as my engines going to be in the 300tdi position. If the engines in the NA/TD/200tdi position then the 300tdi front should work as you've suggested.

Its a drum braked one i've baught, but i'm going to buy the brackets and disk brake stub axles, and convert it to disks.

Standard axles (coil type) should have 3.54 ratio but how can you be certain that's what you have? - A salisbury is not standard fitment on to a 90" so that means it's already been modified so why not the ratio aswell?

We've supplied quite a number of 4.7 ratio gears for fitment into 3.54 salisbury axles for comp work.

All i'm saying is don't take it as a given that thats what you have. Although i think you'd have had a serious problem develop by now if you were running different ratio's front to rear.

Steve

Standard axles (coil type) should have 3.54 ratio but how can you be certain that's what you have? - A salisbury is not standard fitment on to a 90" so that means it's already been modified so why not the ratio aswell?

We've supplied quite a number of 4.7 ratio gears for fitment into 3.54 salisbury axles for comp work.

All i'm saying is don't take it as a given that thats what you have. Although i think you'd have had a serious problem develop by now if you were running different ratio's front to rear.

Steve

4.7 is quite a difference to 3.54 and I'm guessing you'd really notice that difference... i.e. your rear axle trying to overtake the front one... hmm

Unfortunatly I haven't had a much driving experience in my 90 as I took it off the road shortly after i got it, but is it usual to feel them crabbing?

Not as much as you'd first think.

The centre diff is open, so it would just spin the rear prop faster and the front one slower.

The diff wouldnt like that much though, and would probably overheat pretty sharpish.