Let There be Light

So I am fixated with improving the light in and on my Defender I have changed the bulbs for LED the headlights for Chrystal ones have brought some HID spots and even changed the interior bulbs for LED festoon ones.

I am currently building an overland trailer AKA "the money pit" my focus has now turned to lighting power etc, I saw the new side lining for the 90 on the MUD stand at the indoor 4x4 show built into the moulding was an LED strip light that seemed to through of loads of light which set me thinking.....

Trawling eBay I found these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...=item1c10a48b1e

For the princely sum of £2.78 delivered I thought I would get one and give it a go as as i'm sure you know buying from eBay can be very hit and miss but for £6 I thought I would risk it.. (I actually brought two of them), they arrived and the quality was quiet good much as the photo in the add with the size also being about right.

I actually tested them with a 9V battery and was pleased with the light given off even with a tiny power source although by the size of the cable it is very clear that they really don't draw that much power.

I was going to link them to the interior light but before connecting them I did a little test and realised that they would be bright and I didn't want to wreck my night vision every time the door was opened so decided not to go down that route. I did however take the power from the live feed on the light linked it into a switch mounted in the rear panel the strips have been glued to the top of the side trim panels with a hot glue gun.

The result fantastic, the light is very bright but even with no shadow or dead spots as it uses the headlining as a defused, all in including the bits I had lying around I think it would have cost around £8 and ½ an hour of my time to achieve a really good result, nearly as good as the curry hook from MUD.

Cheers, Jason.

post-15513-127015275188_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127015276215_thumb.jpg

post-15513-127015277872_thumb.jpg

Excellent job Jason

Cheers Ian, I tested them out last night once it got dark, boy do they kick out loads of light.... would recomend it to all I was that impressed I am going to fit some in the front somewhere to give me more light there just not sure where I will hide them, don't want to go too "boy racer"

Jason.

ohmy.gif BLIMEY.. Is that disco Jason coming???? All cats in the neighborhood will ran off...

Not quiet a disco....(it's a 110 Defender!!) biggrin.gif need to order a red and blue set alsobiggrin.gif I did actualy consider getting some red ones for night to save the night vision, but figured they would be too bright so would not do anything.....

Jason.

I think Dan was referring to a musical disco Jason, so your red and blue additions will fit right in wink.gif You've done a nice tidy job there, very neat and they certainly look effective i-m_so_happy.gif

I figured that, but couldn't resist the disco 110 thing!!!!tongue.gif

I'm so impressed with your post I've bought one myself.

Ian (with an unlit series 3 interior) (soon to change!)

Ian, you will find it is well worth it, the light they kick out is immense, I was struggling to find somewhere to mount some in the front but think I have sussed it now... I am going to find/get a 15mm clear plastic tube and install them in that in the end I can install a 15mm switch and then mount the tube to the dog guard and take the feed off the light again.

Cheers, Jason.