90 power steering box

My steering was a bit odd and I have found that I can turn the steering shaft about 1/8th of a turn before the drop arm moves. I'm thinking its probably time to replace the steering box or can it be adjusted up enough to take out the slack?

I currently have a 6 bolt box do all the different boxes have the same fittings ie. thread sizes for the hoses ect or do I have to replace like for like ?

top of the box is a large nut with a allen head screw in the centre, this is the box adjuster to take out any play, hold the allen screw still, slacken the nut, screw in the allen screw try 1/4 turn & retighten big nut, then recheck the excess play, if not happy move the screw a bit further until your happy the play has gone,don't go to far or it'll damage the box internals.

Before you do this

Check the small UJs on the shaft

check the drop arm is tight

and check the connection to the box from the steering shaft is Tight.

the last thing is the above then I would consider this as temp measure whilst locating a replacement.

My steering was a bit odd and I have found that I can turn the steering shaft about 1/8th of a turn before the drop arm moves. I'm thinking its probably time to replace the steering box or can it be adjusted up enough to take out the slack?

I currently have a 6 bolt box do all the different boxes have the same fittings ie. thread sizes for the hoses ect or do I have to replace like for like ?

You may not need to replace with a six bolt, when I replaced mine I went direct to ...... (can't remember the name now, I am sure someone will put me right, they are in Woodley Berkshire). Anyway the bloke there said he was happy to take six bolt boxes in PX and replace them with four bolt. I think he wants to get the six bolt ones out of the recon market so it is worth a question.

Andy

Before you do this

Check the small UJs on the shaft

check the drop arm is tight

and check the connection to the box from the steering shaft is Tight.

the last thing is the above then I would consider this as temp measure whilst locating a replacement.

I have checked the uj's drop arm ect and the play is definately in the actual box itself. I think its probably best to go for a replacement. have seen the steering box replacemnt thread in the tech archive and it doesnt look to hard Its not a daily drive so it can sit on the drive until I get hold of a new box

You may not need to replace with a six bolt, when I replaced mine I went direct to ...... (can't remember the name now, I am sure someone will put me right, they are in Woodley Berkshire). Anyway the bloke there said he was happy to take six bolt boxes in PX and replace them with four bolt. I think he wants to get the six bolt ones out of the recon market so it is worth a question.

Andy

Adwest ?

don't know about the experienced people on here but i found replacing the steering box quite straight forward apart frpm those 2 horrid pipes bolts on the top of the box.

how on earth do you get a flat spanner on them let alone get any leverage to get the damn things undone.

one of mine had a bent a rusty pipe so i was almost happy when i had to cut the rubber pipe and put on a new one !!

http://www.adwest-engineering.co.uk

My 6-bolt box is on it's way out too. When it's finally time to replace it, I intend to ask Adwest if they can supply a suitable replacement.

Watch out for differences in pipe thread for the oil connections.

Yep it is Adwest, my mind went blank (not unusual). When speaking to them he seemed to imply that all the unions were the same on the box.unsure.gif