Dead 300TDi

Tris Cocks

As i wasnt sure if or when the timing belt had be changed i decided that it would be wise to change it as the mileage is about 72K.

i changed the timing belt yesterday using the method described in les' How To section by removing the wire from the back of the injector pump.

after changeing the belt i replaced evertything the same way it came off and the engine wont start. It turns over but doesnt fire, ive checked theres voltage going to the wire that was connected to the back of the injector pump, and also checked there is fuel coming out og the injectors but it still wont start.

Any pointers of what to try next?

Thanks

Tris

After tightening turn it around manually and recheck. Then you'll know what way you'll have to turn. And if it isn't a lot, the three bolts holding the pulley are in adjustable holes, so a bit of adjustement can be given that way without removing the belt.

Oh, and don't worry, if you've done it once the second time is so much quicker <_<

I'll take the rad out while doing to tomorrow as its not the easiest place to get to.

Quicker the second time around - sounds like a man speaking from experience.

Is it a stupidly daft idea to try the engine to see if it starts with the timing cover removed?

I'll take the rad out while doing to tomorrow as its not the easiest place to get to.

Is it a stupidly daft idea to try the engine to see if it starts with the timing cover removed?

you can do that, but only for a very short time as with the rad out there will be no coolant & no water pump so the engine will get hot very quickly.

Yeah, had it happen a few weeks ago...

Now I'm on to bigger problems. When a TDi doesn't feel like working, it really doesn't feel like working apparently.

It is quite difficult sometimes to get the belt nice and taught between the cam and crank sprockets and it's common to accidentally put the cam sprocket one tooth out when fitting it. This why you rotate the engine 2-turns clockwise after fitting the belt and then re-check the timing. You can start the engine with the cover off and I do it every time - just to make sure. Reconnect the fuel solenoid wire, start the engine and briefly rev it. If it starts and revs ok, then the jobs a good-un smile.gif

Les.

.......if the rad is out then your engine oil heat exchanger pipes will be disconnected :huh: so if you start it you'll dump all your engine oil .

My guess is the cam is out as the arrow is not easy to see , using a small mirror to get a direct line of sight helps

cheers

Steveb

.......if the rad is out then your engine oil heat exchanger pipes will be disconnected :huh: so if you start it you'll dump all your engine oil .

My guess is the cam is out as the arrow is not easy to see , using a small mirror to get a direct line of sight helps

cheers

Steveb

I considered it obvious to put the rad back in but I did miss it from the post above :)