Trailer...

need4speed

A friend suggested he fancied making a trailer using the rear of a 110.. Now im sure ive seen that exact thing somewhere so had a little search but i cant find anything. I cant remember if it was even in the uk. Can someone shed some light...

I have done exatly the same thing but with a 109 . .

I cut the chassis off flush with the front of the rear tub and then welded on an A frame. I then took the half shafts and diff out, then welded a cap over the end of the diff case.

Another option would be to do away with the 110 axle and put indespention units on it as the land rover axle is quite heavy (and uses hydraulic brakes) whilst the indespention units would be able to be used with normal cable trailer brakes.

I didnt bother with brakes on mine as I use it as a camping trailer with minimal stuff in and so it is under 750kg's

If you wanted to run with the 110 axle I'm sure it would be possible to modify the braking setup from a late sankey trailer. The hydraulic brakes work really well on these.

Hope that helps

Not wishing to rain on the parade, but making such a trailer legal might pose some problems. Nothing insurmountable but potentially expensive compared to the cost of just finding an old 110.

Chris

The legal issues are avoidable by not using the rear axle or the chassis, both of which would be impractical anyway.

Not wishing to rain on the parade, but making such a trailer legal might pose some problems. Nothing insurmountable but potentially expensive compared to the cost of just finding an old 110.

Chris

Never paid much attention to legal matters.... :D