Converting and now confused.....

Ok so I am doing the conversion on my 110 and have almost got to the stage of fitting my nice and as clean as it's going to get engine into the bay. I have taken the fly wheel housing off and cleaned it so I can offer it up to the bell housing. On placing it against the bell housing I was relieved to see that it will fit - yippee! smile.gif How ever one of the studs - one that would go through the hole by the clutch slave cylinder if ther was one! huh.gif won't go through for that reason. Does this mean that I need to drill a hole as if I do there is no way to put a nut on it as it would effectively be in the bell housing ph34r.gif

IMGP1892.jpg

Then there is the small issue with the fact that there are only six studs around one edge (including the one with no hole to go into). How ever as part of the various parts I have bought to assist me once I start putting the engine in I have some parts from Steve P. Some of those bits are four fly wheel housing bolts with counter sunk heads. How ever I can't see any counter sunk holes but at the bottom of the housing there are four holes which could be used but again if I they are to be used do I have counter sink them? Or I am doing some thing completely wrong?

Here are the four holes -

IMGP1890.jpg

Here the four bolts in 'place'? huh.gif

IMGP1891.jpg

In case it hels any here's the housing front view -

IMGP1889.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated to save me going mad! smile.gif

Thanks in advance

CG

200tdi flywheel housing page 209/ acrobat reader page 42 of 132

should be 4 x allen head bolts [not countersunk] they go through the flywheel housing & screw into the laddder frame.

Part number: SS110801

Screw M10 x 80

How ever one of the studs - one that would go through the hole by the clutch slave cylinder if ther was one!

can't see a bolt or stud in that location [see photo below, rotated to correct orientation] on my 200TDi, IIRC it's a dowel for alignment purposes

post-20-127101078277_thumb.jpg

How ever as part of the various parts I have bought to assist me once I start putting the engine in I have some parts from Steve P. Some of those bits are four fly wheel housing bolts with counter sunk heads. How ever I can't see any counter sunk holes but at the bottom of the housing there are four holes which could be used but again if I they are to be used do I have counter sink them? Or I am doing some thing completely wrong?

CG

Hi,

I'm sure Les and Western will help you out with the missing studs.

As for the extra 4 fly wheel house bolts, yes you do need to countersink the wholes in the housing (if you are using the Disco-fly wheel housing and the original bellhouse on your TD/NA gearbox)

But you need to countersink the wholes on the inner side of the fly wheel housing, the side that mates with the bellhousing.

I bought the same 4 bolts from Steve P. and they came with some counter-sink instructions.

Not that difficult if you have the proper drill.

Ok, thanks :) In that case the one stud lost is no problem at all. The screws supplied by Steve P are for the 200TDi flywheel housing. You will need to tap the holes to use the bolts supplied (M10 coarse thread I think?). I wouldn't use countersunk though - too weak if you ever need to remove them in the future. I would go for Allen bolts or standard M10 coarse. The original 200TDi bolts are 13mm head, and I think M10 coarse thread.

Les.

Hi,

I'm sure Les and Western will help you out with the missing studs.

As for the extra 4 fly wheel house bolts, yes you do need to countersink the wholes in the housing (if you are using the Disco-fly wheel housing and the original bellhouse on your TD/NA gearbox)

But you need to countersink the wholes on the inner side of the fly wheel housing, the side that mates with the bellhousing.

I bought the same 4 bolts from Steve P. and they came with some counter-sink instructions.

Not that difficult if you have the proper drill.

Great I guess I'll have to get the details from them as I din't get any sad.gif

Thanks for that

Here's a picture of me tapping holes for some extra studs.

I countersunk the holes marked in red, with a drill (20.5 mmm) as shown below:

Mind you, if there is an easier/better/original way I'd go for that, I was advised to buy the Steve P. bolts and went ahead...

flywheel.jpg

boor.jpg

Er that sounds much easier - especially if that means me NOT damaging the housing by drilling some thing

out...

Thanks

I used my existing TD housing - everything lined up great. The only pain is that you have to block up the original drain hole as it is blocked by the Tdi lump, then just drill and tap a new hole in the bottom of the housing instead (remember to do this before you put it all together to save you filling the flywheel housing full of swarf :ph34r: )

HTH

Dave.

Here's a picture of me tapping holes for some extra studs.

I countersunk the holes marked in red, with a drill (20.5 mmm) as shown below:

Mind you, if there is an easier/better/original way I'd go for that, I was advised to buy the Steve P. bolts and went ahead...

flywheel.jpg

boor.jpg

Great pic thanks. Looks like a nice clean garage/workshop! Lucky you - I'd kill for a dry place like that rather than the mud pit that I like to call home laugh.gif

Think as Megansfolly suggests I'll go the original route and see if I can my money back from SP!

Cheers

CG