Water pump

Well here I go again! after washing the engine bay down with degreaser, I have got a squeak on the water pump I first thought it was the tensioner bearing so changed that but the squeaks still there, so after listening to it again its coming from the water pump, I know this because when I spray at the back of the pully with lanolin the squeak goes away for a while!!

My Q to you is I noticed that there are pumps for as little as 17 quid from say britpart, and some spanish manufacturer, oh and Allmakes, and one for about 56 quid being a Landrover genuine, anybody any experience of these make and are they any good?

Also before replacing anyone know of a cure for a squeaking pump bearing!

Also the three long bolts in the water pump what are the chances of these snapping, can't remeber who said it but I'm sure someone said the can snap if your unlucky!

Cheers

ted

Thanks for any advise.

This was on a 2.5TD, but I suspect that experience may be similar on other engines!

Based on recent experience - 2 in 3 will snap :(

Of those two, I welded a nut on the end of one and persuaded it to come out, still working on the second snapped bolt as that didn't have enough thread left to weld to!!!

Fortunately the car isn't needed at the moment.

Cheers

Peter

Water pump from GOTTS was 25 quid no problems. The long bolts just rounded heads replaced with new.

Now have a different 300tdi and bolt sheared in block unable to remove at present thinking of obtions

and bolt sheared in block unable to remove at present thinking of obtions

I had one bolt snap on me recently, I used a Dremel tunsten carbide cutter to grind it out with a few good vistis from hammer & punch to help break the bolt remains up,

have a read through this http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=51715 for suggestions.

Thanks for reply!scared me off trying it myself! Imay take to garage and let them do the deed.

I had a heater plug snap in the block, and the hole wasn't pretty in the end, I too uased a dremel to get it out put wasn't too accurate!!!!

I was going to suggest you use a shorter bolt if you had 5 mil of thresd it could of held!!

Cheers ted

Or am I being a girl?

I had a similar problem and changed water pump as well as tensioner and squeak was still there.

Just an idea, spray wd40 on waterpump belt and if squeak disappears, its not waterpump bearings,

On the 300 engine the tensioner pulley doesnt sit straight under belt it seats a a very slight angle causing the squeak as the belt runs across pulley, there is an article on here regarding the Penny trick which i am told you put between pulley and engine when tightening pulley mounts up, this levels up the pulley and makes the squeak dissapeer, so i am told, ( still have to modify my one).

I had one bolt snap on me recently, I used a Dremel tunsten carbide cutter to grind it out with a few good vistis from hammer & punch to help break the bolt remains up,

have a read through this http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=51715 for suggestions.

The problem with the water pump bolt in my sons 2.5TD is that it extends through the ally timing belt cover and into the block, so with the water pump removed, you've still got quite a few mm of bolt behind the ally cover and no access (unless you want to take the ally timing cover off with is a royal PITA.

I am considering making a small jig to drill down the center of that bolt (its an M8) with a 5mm drill and tap it M6. It's only one bolt and the pressure exerted by the M6 should be enough to stop it leaking (which is the current problem).

Cheers

Peter

(aka the Wiltshire Bodger :rolleyes: )

You can greatly reduce the chance of the three long bolts from shearing by smacking the heads of them a few times with a hammer before trying to undo them. Trying to tighten them a little before udoing them can help too. To prevent the bolt heads from rounding off - tap a 1/2" socket on them instead.

Les.