Drain Plug

Hi,

I've decided to get one of those easy to use drain plugs as sold by Difflock.com after a couple of oil spills. Unfortunately what is supposed to be the one for my engine, is not the right size. Before I go and start ranting and raving I need to confirm a few things.

The car is a 1991 LHD Defender with a 200TDi engine.

The last time I changed the oil, I used a 30mm spanner on the drain plug and the thread hole was plenty big enough to poke my finger in. The drain plug should be this part number 603659 but for the life of me I have no idea as to what size of thread it is.

Does anyone know if the above drain plug is the correct one for my engine and what thread it's supposed to be?

The drain plug from Difflock, as per their selection for a 200TDi, arrived with a M12x1.25 thread to fit the sump.

Is there a chance that someone has changed the sump?

Regards,

Keith.

Hi Keith

Mine is 1991 too but is RHD 200Tdi but cannot imagine that makes a difference. I bought the Difflock drainplug back in 2007 for similar reasons. At the time the Difflock reference was DRAI007. Fitted without any bother and has been a godsend!

Is it possible they supplied the wrong one - it does happen. This is what is said on my confirmation email - remember it was 4/12/2007 though!!

1 x Land Rover 90, 110, 130 Defender Drainplug - DRAINDEF1

Options Selected - Land Rover Drainplugs: 200Tdi (DRAI007)

Tax 17.50%

Price Per Item - £16.98

Total Without Tax - £16.98

Total Including Tax - £19.95

Hi Keith

Mine is 1991 too but is RHD 200Tdi but cannot imagine that makes a difference. I bought the Difflock drainplug back in 2007 for similar reasons. At the time the Difflock reference was DRAI007. Fitted without any bother and has been a godsend!

Is it possible they supplied the wrong one - it does happen. This is what is said on my confirmation email - remember it was 4/12/2007 though!!

1 x Land Rover 90, 110, 130 Defender Drainplug - DRAINDEF1

Options Selected - Land Rover Drainplugs: 200Tdi (DRAI007)

Tax 17.50%

Price Per Item - £16.98

Total Without Tax - £16.98

Total Including Tax - £19.95

Maybe they have, waiting for them to get back to me, probably Monday.

Just for reference, this is the order details from the other day.

1 x Defender 90, 110, 130 Drainplug -

Options Selected - Land Rover Drainplugs: 200TDi (S027-1-DP1012)

Tax 17.50%

Price Per Item - £18.18

Total Without Tax - £18.18

Total Including Tax - £21.36

The bit that turned up has DP1029 on the side of the tub it came in.

Maybe they have, waiting for them to get back to me, probably Monday.

Just for reference, this is the order details from the other day.

1 x Defender 90, 110, 130 Drainplug -

Options Selected - Land Rover Drainplugs: 200TDi (S027-1-DP1012)

Tax 17.50%

Price Per Item - £18.18

Total Without Tax - £18.18

Total Including Tax - £21.36

The bit that turned up has DP1029 on the side of the tub it came in.

It looks to me as if they have sent the wrong one, as the order details say "200TDi (S027-1-DP1012)", and yours says "DP1029".

It looks to me as if they have sent the wrong one, as the order details say "200TDi (S027-1-DP1012)", and yours says "DP1029".

Got an answer back yesterday, from Difflock:

"Please accept my apologies you have been sent DP1029 in error. Could we ask that you kindly return this part to us and we will send you the correct DP1012 in replacement.

Once again sorry for the confusion that this has caused."

Does the plug have a magnetic end? As in, when I am replacing the oil, I like to make sure all of the bits of metal are removed from the engine (I keep re-inserting the plug and wiping off the metal until no more comes out), how does the diff-lock drain plug cope with this?

The bits of metal remain in there... Until you remove the Difflock thingy and replace it with a magnetic plug.

I have one in a Disco 200Tdi engine now sat in my 110. The exhaust is very close to the sump plug, so the Difflock valve was the only way to avoid oil everywhere when changing. A normal plug would probably be better to use since there is no "swosh" when emptying the sump, the oil is just slowly running out.