2wd LRX

LR NUT

Has anyone else heard that the new LRX will come with a entry 2WD drive model? What the bloody hell are tata playing at!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Land Rover themselves did produce a 2WD Freelander 1. Only a limited production were ever made.

never knew that! In my eyes I think Land Rover should stick to permanent 4WD, who the hell in the right mind is going to pay £30,000 for a 2WD LRX ! come on Land Rover get a grip! If you require a 4WD one it wil cost you £35,000

If Land Rover don't reduce their average CO2 output they'll go out of business in the next model cycle, not from consumer pressure, but from EU fines.

So far the strategy has been to rationalise the normally aspirated engine range and introduce stop/start on FL2. The next big step is vehicle downsizing/weight loss and the V6 supercharged Hybrid, small and large diesel Hybrid projects and an efficient smaller model strategy offering super low Co2, which means going 2wd. Toyota RAV4, VW Tiguan and Ford Kuga all have 2wd variants which sell strongly in the company car sector and reduce CO2 to get them all into the sub 160g bands, which dodges the initial VED showroom tax and allow lease companies and corporates to write off more of the cost off the balance sheet.

There will be a market for this one, but I also think it is not done.

However in an era where there are 4 drs Porsches. TVR is owned by Russians, Land Rover in the hands of TATA. Bentley owned by Germans and builds a Continental GT Design Series China and a Flying Spur Speed China forthe China market. Well, than there must be room for a FWD Land Rover. :(;)

Didn't most people say the same things about the Freelander when it was introduced, same with the Discovery and (before my time) I'm sure there were a few snipes at the Range Rover. At the end of the day if it keeps Land Rover going then it's good idea. Personally I wouldn't give tuppence for any of the current models except the Defender and I'm none to keen on that with the electrickery, much happier with my '93 Disco, it responds well to the gentle touch of a hammer!

• 2 months later...

It's quite common in the states to sell pickups as 2WD or 4WD.

It is the USA that will be a significant driver in this policy because of the potential sales numbers to be obtained. American drivers have not a single clue about sophisticated driving formats such as four wheel drive because they are unfamiliar with driving other than in a straight line normally, which is why American cars in my experience all handle like king size beds.

Front wheel drive is simply cheaper to manufacture within a vehicle's factory unit cost but of course is essentially an unsatisfactory way to power good cars, at least as far as sophisticated performance packages are concerned. If you stop to think about it, there is not a single quality car made anywhere, which is front wheel drive. All quality parformance cars are either rear wheel or four wheel drive and that is a fact.

A new Land Rover with front drive only, cannot be regarded as Land Rover's proudest moment I fear!

Oh ye of short memories - there was a production series machine with 2WD (RWD) only (it was in a feature in LRO :ph34r: ). Did the world end? No! :D

Edit:

In fact: HDC - Oh noes! Never catch on. No low box?!?! Rubbish! :P