Rear door and spare wheel

Julian

Just a quickie. The rear door on my Series 3 has the spare wheel bolted to it. It has a new tyre on it and I find I can only just get my fingers around it to move the door handle. Is this normal, I can't imagine the vehicle will have been designed with such a system?

Cheers Julian.

Just a quickie. The rear door on my Series 3 has the spare wheel bolted to it. It has a new tyre on it and I find I can only just get my fingers around it to move the door handle. Is this normal, I can't imagine the vehicle will have been designed with such a system?

Cheers Julian.

As I recall there are two positions for the holders, the bottom fouls the hitch, the top, the handle.

I'd suggest you get/make a swing away carier, as the door isn't strong enough to take the weight of the wheel and tyre. The frame cracks, and the hinges break.

G.

I'd suggest you get/make a swing away carier, as the door isn't strong enough to take the weight of the wheel and tyre. The frame cracks, and the hinges break.

G.

Definitely, Th SIII door only has two hinges, you can fit a 3rd like the Defender, but still not good enough IMHO

I had a S111 Hybrid which had the third hinge fitted, even so any road wheel vibration would turn in to a really irritating banging as the back door would move back and forth with the weight of the spare wheel at motorway speeds.

Marc.

I had a S111 Hybrid which had the third hinge fitted, even so any road wheel vibration would turn in to a really irritating banging as the back door would move back and forth with the weight of the spare wheel at motorway speeds.

Marc.

That can be mitigated by fitted anti-burst locks and I had an extra catch device fitted which gave more vertical support to the door.

Marc.

Motorway speeds, that'll be about 45mph then would it?

As I recall there are two positions for the holders, the bottom fouls the hitch, the top, the handle.

G.

The door frame is rotten around the bottom anyway, I've seen some new doors at a price that isn't too bad so I'll probably have a new door soon. I rather fancied sticking the wheel on top of the bonnet, but that'll stop me opening the bonnet right up and resting it on the wipers - which is really good for access. A swing away carrier is the best answer by the sounds of it ta.

Just another question, I'm looking at overdrives for sale, mainly on e-bay - is the Fairy overdrive unit OK for a Series 3 Diesel or are there different specs?

Cheers Julian.

The door frame is rotten around the bottom anyway, I've seen some new doors at a price that isn't too bad so I'll probably have a new door soon. I rather fancied sticking the wheel on top of the bonnet, but that'll stop me opening the bonnet right up and resting it on the wipers - which is really good for access. A swing away carrier is the best answer by the sounds of it ta.

Just another question, I'm looking at overdrives for sale, mainly on e-bay - is the Fairy overdrive unit OK for a Series 3 Diesel or are there different specs?

Cheers Julian.

]

Fairey O/d is fine for a std box, they vary in quality though, some whine, some while a lot and very few don't.

Parts are available, though pricey, do a search. The thing to watch is the lubrication. Keep them topped up (weekly).

An alternative is the roverdrive, which is, again, not cheap. Google it.

Cheers Julian.

either adjust the inner nuts [that the wheel butts against] position on the thread or turn the wheel around so it's outer face goes to the door, so the wheel sits further out & lets you get your hand on the door handle easier.

]

Fairey O/d is fine for a std box, they vary in quality though, some whine, some while a lot and very few don't.

Parts are available, though pricey, do a search. The thing to watch is the lubrication. Keep them topped up (weekly).

An alternative is the roverdrive, which is, again, not cheap. Google it.

Thanks, what do you think of this one, it's quite near to me in Manchester:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fairey-Overdrive-Land-Rover-Series-I-II-III-/230475332601?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35a9667bf9

Ebay # 230475332601

Seems OK to me.

I did see the roverdrive, It sounds a great unit but it is fairly pricey.

Cheers Julian.

either adjust the inner nuts [that the wheel butts against] position on the thread or turn the wheel around so it's outer face goes to the door, so the wheel sits further out & lets you get your hand on the door handle easier.

Or use the door mounting from a 90 or 110 as they sit the wheel out further from the door & are a direct replacement.

Looks like the guy there does refurbs of Fairey overdrives? He's sold a few according to his feedback too.

Thanks, I purchased it and collected it this evening. The chap was very helpful and it is indeed a refurbed unit with everything included to do the job. I'll be sticking it on in the next few days so fingers crossed! Actually I'm certain it'll be fine because the chaps been doing them for years and it's obvious that he knows his overdrives inside out.

Julian.

Looks like the guy there does refurbs of Fairey overdrives? He's sold a few according to his feedback too.

Fitted it today and went for a run to test it this evening. It's really good, works perfectly and no noises from it. I even got the hole in the right place for the lever in the tunnel!

The chap does refurb the things and knows them inside out - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend him to anyone thinking of going down the same route as me. It really does transform the vehicle when out on the open road.

Julian.