Insurance Recommendation

I am looking to insure my 1997 300TDi 90 CSW, modified for expedition use. I don't have an unblemished record, but nothing serious. I really don't rate my current broker, Lancaster, at all highly and am already talking to NFU. Any other recommendations ?

All help gratefully received

Regards

Richard

I'm aiming for the NFU for next year, although my last wagon was too modified and this one needs an engineer's report.

Currently with Sureterm who charge me for policy amendments :angry: and was with Adrian Flux who I also found to be a pain but I can't remember why :huh:

I'm with Adrian flux, good price, mods are like for like, and i only get things from them by email, so no post, i simply print off the important stuff!

I tried NFU, but they wanted over double what Adrian flux quoted.... i don;t think they were interested!

I'm aiming for the NFU for next year, although my last wagon was too modified and this one needs an engineer's report.

Currently with Sureterm who charge me for policy amendments mad.gif and was with Adrian Flux who I also found to be a pain but I can't remember why huh.gif

Lancaster charged me for amendments for each modification, almost equivalent to my annual premium, and then the 75% premium surcharge when SWMBO got a SP30 speeding ticket. Two bumps without me claiming and my renewal premium goes up nearly three times. Don't I just love Lancaster. I appreciate they are the broker, but I don't feel they are doing anything for me other than just taking my money. I would rather pay a bit more than insure througfh them again.

I'm with Adrian flux, good price, mods are like for like, and i only get things from them by email, so no post, i simply print off the important stuff!

I tried NFU, but they wanted over double what Adrian flux quoted.... i don;t think they were interested!

Ron,

What does "like for like" mean please.

Regards

Richard

I was with Footman James last year, but needed to add a name to my policy it took two days and even then they messed it up, hate to think what would happen if I needed to claim. I am now with Adrian Flux, everything listed and a copy of the mods etc, and saved over £350.00 so they get my vote this year the only issue I have is the charge everytime I change the policy, so will be looking around again.

Jason.

we've been with NFU for a year, and are due for renewal soon, i would recommend them but will definitely be shopping around when the time comes, their cover and service seems to differ from office to office, the people at the office we use when we're down south aren't very good, but the office up north is much better!

we also had a cracked screen in France and they were a nightmare, good initially but had us phoning in circles after they sent us to the wrong town, we were on the phone for several hours over two days and eventually were told to deal with french autoglass, who only spoke french, which we don't fluently.

we thought sod it eventually and the crack is still there (it's on my to-do list!)

i'd say with insurance you'll always get good and bad reports for nearly every company, i'd advise looking at your particular needs and getting cover accordingly, we travel in europe a lot, so EU cover is a must for us, but might not be for you.

make sure you:

read the fine print

know that the company understands any mods done

check check and check again the details of the policy

long answer i know but hope it helps

:)

Ron,

What does "like for like" mean please.

Regards

Richard

Richard, i had to list the mods to my truck, ie, D44 front bumper.... if in an accident or whatever, thay wouldn't bolt ona stadard bumper, but a D44 heavy duty one..... ie, like for like...

I like this option, as most of us spend a fortune on none standard bits, if you end up in an accident, then you could potentially get a standard truck back and have to start again, but not if insured like for like....:)

we've been with NFU for a year, and are due for renewal soon, i would recommend them but will definitely be shopping around when the time comes, their cover and service seems to differ from office to office, the people at the office we use when we're down south aren't very good, but the office up north is much better!

we also had a cracked screen in France and they were a nightmare, good initially but had us phoning in circles after they sent us to the wrong town, we were on the phone for several hours over two days and eventually were told to deal with french autoglass, who only spoke french, which we don't fluently.

we thought sod it eventually and the crack is still there (it's on my to-do list!)

i'd say with insurance you'll always get good and bad reports for nearly every company, i'd advise looking at your particular needs and getting cover accordingly, we travel in europe a lot, so EU cover is a must for us, but might not be for you.

make sure you:

read the fine print

know that the company understands any mods done

check check and check again the details of the policy

long answer i know but hope it helps

smile.gif

On the Europe note, I really support looking at the small print. We had our car stolen in Paris last month. Insurer's help getting me wife and two young kids home ? Car insurer - we will give you a hire car while yours is repaired - stolen ? No help. AA European Relay ? No car, no relay, no help. General travel insurance - what's a car ? We were completely without help. Hmmmm

Richard, i had to list the mods to my truck, ie, D44 front bumper.... if in an accident or whatever, thay wouldn't bolt ona stadard bumper, but a D44 heavy duty one..... ie, like for like...

I like this option, as most of us spend a fortune on none standard bits, if you end up in an accident, then you could potentially get a standard truck back and have to start again, but not if insured like for like....smile.gif

Thanks Ron, I had not even thought about that aspect and the cost of the bits adds up very fast.

On the Europe note, I really support looking at the small print. We had our car stolen in Paris last month. Insurer's help getting me wife and two young kids home ? Car insurer - we will give you a hire car while yours is repaired - stolen ? No help. AA European Relay ? No car, no relay, no help. General travel insurance - what's a car ? We were completely without help. Hmmmm

It is quite common that many insurers offer european cover, but this is nearly always only at the minimum level required to legally drive in the country in question. So that is normally third party cover only - no fire, no theft. To up the cover, you often need to phone the insurer and pay extra to get a comprehensive level of cover for driving on the continent.

I've just renewed both Land Rovers with Adrian Flux, they gave me the best quote although I'm not sure the massive amount of hassle I've had to go to has been worth saving myself £100 here or there :huh:

So far I've had to send in:

• Mileage declaration form
  • Accessory questionnaire
  • Modification declaration
  • Driving license
  • Proof of my NCB on other car

For both smegging vehicles. Such a pain :(

hiya,

this year i went with what i beleive to be a broker, in the landy mags "PBIS" brilliant, im 42 have a 1987 landy 90 for myself alone fully comp, 30 days euro travel, roadside assistance and recovery, greenlane breakdown and assistance, insurance and recovery £120.00 you cant beat that surely?, added my partner who is 24, female went up to £230.00, still think its good, and for the doubters ive already broken down and been flatbedded home with no charges, cant reccomend enough, chuffed so far.

my list of mods had to be listed over the phone and it was everything

31 inch tyres

3 inch lift

disco engine

blacked out windows

a-bar, etc, etc

and i had to send photos to verify the value i put on my vehicle, no big deal though?

Oh yeah, they didnt take into consideration points on your ticket, I dont have any but i think it was due to either the age of car or make that they didnt take these into consideration, cool.

Sharpy

Insurance is one of those questions that comes up again and again. A lot of people speak highly of NFU - I've been with them for years and only deal with my local branch. I would personally no longer insure with Flux, I had other vehicles with them but it was just too much hassle come renewal time.